This course provides suitable knowledge in biostratigraphy applied to the petroleum system. The biostratigraphic data are a tool regularly used in geological procedures and in the petroleum industry to integrate lithologic description, log signature correlation and seismic profile interpretations. The lessons involve the study of the major fossil groups applied to chronostratigraphic and paleoenvironmental reconstructions.
The stratigraphic levels, the unconformities and the condensed sections identification during drilling will be highlighted. Biozonation schemes will be compared to graphic correlation analysis—constructing and using composite standards charts.
Statistical methods and computer technology applied to paleontological data can delineate an optimum sequence of biostratigraphic events for both outcropping and coring stratigraphic successions (also with incongruities in the fossil record, if present).
The course is designed for:
- Anyone with a specific interest in the topic
The main knowledge and skills that students will acquire are:
- Recognition of the main fossil groups and ability to relate them to the age
- Ability to restructure and correlate the useful biozones
- Ability to use a fossil’s database
Please contact us for more information on this course
The course will cover the following areas of biostratigraphy:
- The classification of major microfossils groups
- Principles of stratigraphy and paleontology
- Fundamental of paleo environment and biofacies
- Quantitative and statistical approach to the biostratigraphic concepts
The essential content of the course is broken down as follows:
Basics (approx. 3-4 days):
- Fundamental of biostratigraphy
- Identification of main microfossils groups
- High resolution biostratigraphy
- Paleo-environment assemblages and bio-facies
- Principles of absolute and relative dating
- Mathematical applications to the biostratigraphy
- Quantitative biostratigraphy
- Databases and software used to the biostratigraphy applications
Applications of biostratigraphy in petroleum exploration (approx. 1-2 days):
- How to use the carbonate knowledge for oil and gas development or exploration (e.g. Log analysis, geological modeling, reserves evaluation, etc.)
Save This Event
When & Where
Esanda Engineering Ltd
Esanda is an independent upstream oil and gas consultancy specialising in industry specific training and field development planning services. Our operations are supported by our UK and Australia offices.
Esanda is a specialist training provider serving the global upstream oil and gas industry. Our training providers are practicing industry specialists who develop our in house courses and work with clients to build bespoke training for their staff.
We pride ourselves on being able to bring hundreds of man years of experience to the training sector and the positive feedback we receive from our satisfied clients.
Our courses evolved over 15 years ago with a focus on Field Development Planning, which included a strong emphasis on costing and economic analysis as well as concept selection for our clients. The range of clients includes those involved in Onshore, Offshore, Subsea, GTL, LNG and unconventional developments. This work and client training has allowed us to build strong expertise in these areas with practical and up to date knowledge of the subject areas.
Terms and Conditions: http://www.esandaengineering.com/terms-and-conditions.html