Click here to find out if your organisation is an LGiU Member
Get 30% discount off Being and effective councillor: Resilience - difficult conversations : 17 November, if you attend this seminar and 'Personal Resilient Cllr', 4 October . Offer ends 4 October.
Being a Member you are set apart from others because your position of power is always visible. However, in a world where people can be distrustful of those who seek and hold power and where people are becoming accustomed to challenging officialdom holding the position of a Councillor does not automatically confer authority, control or action. In addition, working relationships with fellow Councillors who hold an equal position of power are crucial in pushing through proposals, achieving results and setting strategy and policy. Therefore, this seminar has been designed to develop knowledge, skill and understanding of the art and methods of influencing and persuading others in order to gain cooperation, support, and commitment. By the end of the seminar Councillors will have heightened awareness and increased ability in communicating and achieving successful outcomes while retaining the respect and trust of others.
This will be an interactive session with plenty of opportunity for discussion, exploring concepts, swapping ideas, obtaining advice and sharing the experiences of each other.
Participants will learn:
- To define ethical influencing skills
- About the interplay between the use of power, persuasion and influencing skills
- To recognise underpinning elements intrinsic to the effective use of power and influence
- Of methods for enhancing positive personal influence
9.30 Registration. Refreshments upon arrival
- Defining ethical influencing skills
- The purpose and importance of influencing skills
- Everyday influencing (Actors and Roles/Values & Beliefs)
- Power and persuasion
11.30 Morning Break (20 minutes)
11.50 Personal sphere of influence
Making an impact
13.00 Lunch (45 minutes)
13.45 Being a positive influence:
- Personal Qualities
- Leading with wisdom
* This programme is correct at time of publication, but programme content may be altered without notice to reflect speaker changes which are beyond our control.
Do you have questions about Being an effective Councillor: Influencing Skills?
Contact Local Government Information Unit