This course explores practical approaches to developing strategic thinking skills and overseeing a strategic management process. It develops a deeper understanding of corporate governance in both developed and emerging markets, covering the strategic role of the board, the rights of institutional shareholders and the approach of the company towards risk. We combine these two aspects of management and leadership to offer a systemic view. Our evidence-based and highly practical training approach helps professionals improve their strategic thinking ability and increase their confidence in fulfilling their governance responsibilities in the context of their organisation and the industry it operates in. We take on current relevant dilemmas and provide robust tools to support your continuous learning.
Who should attend?
Board directors in an executive or non-executive role, senior managers, active investors, portfolio managers and analysts, regulators, financial journalists, and lawyers who:
- Have, or will have, the responsibility to translate organisational strategy into effective performance to deliver results.
- Desire to better understand the differences between operational management roles and strategic management roles in areas such as thinking skills, planning approaches, and priorities.
- Need to develop a deep understanding of international corporate governance best practice, the situation in selected emerging markets and introduce that into international companies or banks.
- Assess companies for their long-term success and potential to increase value for stakeholders.
Some key outcomes reported by delegates who have attended this course include:
- Clarity about the elements of direction and strategy such as: Purpose, mission, strategy, goals, key result indicators, vision and values
- Clarity about the elements of direction and governance, such as: Accountability and stakeholder management, transparency, leadership, risk management
- Understanding of universal principles to steer companies on behalf of the owners and principles that are formed by cultural difference, improved capacity to work in global contexts
- Insights into the reasons why conflicts between strategic leaders and operational managers are inevitable and how to resolve them so the conflict is healthy
- Understanding of the difference between corporate and business strategy, appreciation of the importance of the idea “competitive strategy“ and where newer ideas such as the resource-based view and Blue Ocean® strategy fit
- Better understanding of personal strengths as a strategic thinker, leader and manager and areas for further development
The course provides an opportunity to build on your existing managerial skills, knowledge and experience. The course uses a mixture of short theory explanations, group discussions, individual work, exercises, presentations, video clips, case studies, problem- solving and feedback sessions to provide an interesting, varied and stimulating learning experience that suits a range of learning styles.
Participants learn in an interactive workshop environment how to handle their director roles and responsibilities and achieve greater impact in their board work. The opportunity is given to address specific client situations in the form of individual yet anonymised case studies. The course leaders have extensive qualifications and experience working with clients in many industries on strategic management and corporate governance in emerging markets. During preparatory steps an understanding of current corporate issues and individual concerns is captured and used to focus the workshop content. A comprehensive handbook, emerging Markets guide, and a toolkit for follow-on work ensure the learning success for all delegates.
Venue & Group Size
The programme takes place in either London or New York. The non-residential course fee includes training facilities, documentation, lunches and refreshments for the duration of the programme. Delegates are responsible for arranging their own accommodation, however, a list of convenient hotels is available upon registration. We will work in small groups up to a maximum of 12 delegates.
Day 1 & 2
Strategy formulation, implementation and management
- Strategy definition and concepts
- A Strategic Management System
- Strategic analysis
- Strategic planning and strategic thinking
- Differentiating Corporate Strategy and Business Strategy
- Strategy communication and implementation
- Organisational change and business transformation
Day 3 & 4
Corporate Governance and Board Leadership
- Corporate governance concepts and developments
- The Emerging Markets universe – selected jurisdictions
- The board’s strategic role
- Director’s roles and responsibilities
- Frequent dilemmas for board directors – real-life cases
- Review of toolkit and handbooks
Exercise: Simulation of a board period
- Assess the risk appetite of the company
- Develop and approve a business strategy
- Stakeholder exercise
- Follow-up key results indicators throughout the year
- Challenge management on delivery
- Present period-end results for approval
Where can I contact the organiser with any questions?
More information is available on our web site: www.cbmsc.com
Email us for a swift reply: email@example.com
Telephone: +44 (0)1223 422171
Save This Event
When & Where
Cambridge Management Sciences Ltd.
Our learning and development services increase the effectiveness of organisations by using proven evidence-based methods that turn strategy into results.