|CMU is the biggest news provider to the UK music business. CMU also provides a number of acclaimed one-day training courses for people working in or with the music industry. Each course covers a different area of the business, providing in-depth and bang-up-to date information and insights, as well as a guide to best practice, and current and future trends.|
|"It was a pleasure attending yesterday’s training course – I enjoyed every minute of it! I spent yesterday evening on the phone with the artist I am currently working with talking about tons of new ideas I got from the session"
Dom Metz, DM Management
|Promoting Music - Media, Social Media & More tells you how to build a profile for your artists, labels or events using both traditional and new publicity techniques. Included is a review of the UK music media - print, online, radio and TV - and how they can be used to promote artists and releases, an overview of the traditional music marketing and PR approach, and an introduction to new ways of promoting music, including the role of social media.|
|This course is led by Chris Cooke, Publisher and Business Editor of CMU. Chris has written about the music business daily for ten years, and is a leading expert on the sector, often commenting on it for other media, most notably the BBC. He also has hands-on experience working on music and marketing projects involving artists, labels, brands and media. An experienced trainer, Chris brings insider insights, practical experience and legal training to his teaching.|
|UnLimited Media is a Corporate Affiliate of the Institute Of Continuing Professional Development. For those professionals with non-specific CPD commitments, CMU Training courses relevant to your profession can count for six hours of CPD time. Certificates to confirm attendance are available on request. Though please note UnLimited Media's training courses are not currently accredited by any specific professional bodies, eg the Solicitor's Regulation Authority.|
|WHAT THIS COURSE COVERS
• The state of the music press - traditional titles, online newcomers, relative readerships.
• The state of music radio - how it works, current & future trends, new opportunities.
• The state of music TV - how it works, current & future trends, new opportunities.
• The future of music media - threats, challenges and the PR perspective.
• The traditional approach to music marketing, PR and promotions.
• Music journalist feedback - what works, what doesn't work, and what could you do better?
• Ten tips for better press release writing.
• The changing nature of music publicity - the 365 days a year approach, the importance of news.
• Making artists newsworthy - how to stay on top of the news cycle.
• A beginner's guide to social media and its role in music promotion.
• The essential social media - a complete guide.
|WHAT THIS COURSE TEACHES YOU
• How the music media works and which media are most important.
• How the media is changing and what this means for PR people.
• The traditional label-led approach to music marketing, PR and promotions.
• What journalists like and hate about the way they are PRed music.
• How to write great attention-grabbing press releases.
• How to make your artist newsworthy, and why that matters.
• How music PR should and will change.
• The role of social media in promoting music.
|WHO SHOULD COME ON THIS COURSE
• Anyone who works in a marketing, PR or promotions role at a label or other music company.
• Anyone who works in a music PR or promotions company, especially beginners.
• Anyone who wants to get an internship or job in music marketing, PR or promotiion.
• PR practitioners interested in how the music media is changing and how social media fits in.
• Artists and managers looking to build their media profile.
• Label management wanting a good summary of how music promotions work.
• Entrepreneurs setting up or running a label, publishing company or management agency.
• Investors and analysts focused on the music business.
• Students specialising in music business, PR or media.
When & Where
CMU provides news and information for music people online and via the industry's most read daily email bulletin.
CMU Insights provides training and consultancy for the music business, including acclaimed training courses, one-on-one coaching and expert consultancy.