Starting a book, like setting out on any journey, is exciting. Halfway through, it can seem like a thankless slog, leaving you with no sense of where to go next. Accomplished editor and writing coach Philippa Pride can help you choose the right direction for progressing your book and inspire you to take it to a new level.
With enviable experience as a publisher and writing coach, Philippa looks at the creative process from artistic, commercial and neurological angles, and can give you the tools to do the same. From problems with structure and characters to motivational thinking and the world of publishing, you'll examine the science of engaging readers, and publishers, as well as the art. It's a transformative course experience, which will change your approach to writing, and give you access to reserves of motivation and discipline you didn't know you had.
This course is designed for anyone with a book in progress who needs help with technical or motivational issues. It mixes traditional coaching and editing with neuro-linguistic programming (NPL) to enable writers to see the potential in their work and understand how to enjoy writing it, complete it and present it to agents and publishers with confidence. Topics covered during the course include:
- How to keep writing – and enjoy it – chapter after chapter
- Enhancing the quality of your book - small changes for major effect
- Learn how to engage the reader through NLP
- Take stock - when to 'push on through' and when to look back
- How to stop rewriting that first chapter and crack on
- Secret tips from an editor
- How to make your characters come alive
- Writing with a view to getting published
- What editors are looking for – the science, the art and the passion
- Revision – learn how to switch from the intuitive first draft to the analytical rewrite
- How to make your book stand out from the crowd
- What makes a bestseller – the power of modelling
- Understanding the publishing process and basic legal matters
- How to attract an agent, publisher and readership
This course is for you if...
- You want to kick-start your book at the mid-point, regain faith in your ability to complete it and get back a sense of purpose
- You're having trouble resolving certain plot or character issues
- You're failing to make progress with a book because you can't stop editing existing chapters and want to regain momentum
- You want to raise your writing game and discover how to get your book ready to be seen by publishers
If you are looking for a beginner level class with Philippa click here for further details.
Philippa Pride has been running creative writing courses since 2006, combining her skills as a certified NLP master practitioner and coach with her inside knowledge of the publishing profession. A commissioning editor for one of the major publishing houses before setting up her own business, The Book Doctor, Philippa is described by Hodder & Stoughton's CEO as having "a reputation as a talented spotter of new fiction, a creative editor with flair and vision, a nurturer of writers' careers and a terrific champion of her authors." Philippa continues her connection with Hodder as British editor for bestselling author Stephen King.
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.