Whether you are an experienced writer or just setting out, marshalling your muse can be tough. If you are unsure how to get started or get into the writing flow, this is a nurturing environment in which to find your voice, capture your ideas or overcome a writer's block. Book editor and writing coach Philippa Pride, who has worked with authors including Stephen King, can teach you a variety of techniques to help you tap into your creativity even when inspiration is running dry.
This weekend masterclass is designed for a variety of skill levels and offers a choice of exercises tailored to your individual ability and preferred outcome. With workshops on planning, structuring and pitching a book, it offers practical advice as well as a fantastic opportunity to get valuable professional and creative feedback in a supportive group.
Exercises for creativity - enjoy the writing process
- Accessing your ideas
- Getting started, keeping going, taking stock
- Getting into a creative state for writing
- How to overcome obstacles and switch off your inner critic
- Painting and dancing with words
- Visualisations – the magic of imagery and metaphor
- Finding your unique voice
- Becoming the hero of your writer's journey
Tips for writing – build and develop a toolbox
- What makes good story – how to shape your book
- Creating narrative drive and keep those pages turning
- Setting goals and a writing schedule to suit your life
- Structuring your book - the benefits of a chapter breakdown
- Moving from concept to final draft
- Plot, empathetic characters, dialogue, description
- Modelling on successful strategies
If you are looking for a more advanced level class with Philippa click here for further details.
This course is for you if...
- You're new to novel or short story writing and have a creative instinct, but don't know how to herd the cats of your imagination
- You want to learn techniques to establish a more disciplined or productive writing process
- You want to know more about the organisational aspects of writing a novel, including planning, plotting, structuring and scheduling
- You want to spend less time procrastinating and more time writing
Philippa Pride has been running creative writing courses since 2006, combining her skills as a certified NLP master practitioner and coach with her inside knowledge of the publishing profession. A commissioning editor for one of the major publishing houses before setting up her own business, The Book Doctor, Philippa is described by Hodder & Stoughton's CEO as having "a reputation as a talented spotter of new fiction, a creative editor with flair and vision, a nurturer of writers' careers and a terrific champion of her authors." Philippa continues her connection with Hodder as British editor for bestselling author Stephen King.
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.