Galha Fundraising Lunch 2013
Saturday, 30 November 2013 from 12:00 to 16:00 (GMT)
London, United Kingdom
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Last updated 07Nov13
Bookings close shortly after Fri 08Nov13, so book now! We really appreciate getting an idea of numbers as early as possible, so please help us out.
It's time for the Galha Fundraising Lunch 2013!
We like to gather once a year for a formal, posh lunch to celebrate the year and all that has been achieved by our members, supporters and our committee. This year we're pleased to welcome celebrity speaker CJ De Mooi.
We know money can be in short supply for many at the moment, so we've worked hard to find the right combination of price, value, food and ambience.
We very much hope you'll join us.
Our venue: the prestigious 'Browns' in Covent Garden
Browns Covent Garden is right in the heart of the West End theatre-land, on St. Martin's Lane, close to Leicester Square and Trafalgar Square, 'The place where people come to dream, eat, drink and let their hair down'. During 2013 Brown's is celebrating its 40th anniversary since it's founding in Brighton.
The building was once the Westminster County Courts, elegantly converted in 1996.
We have booked one of the upstairs Courtrooms for the lunch and will gather in the beautiful downstairs bar before-hand.
Address: Brown's, 82 - 84 St Martin's Lane, London, WC2N 4AG
Telephone: 020 7497 5050
- Leicester Square tube (Northern Line), 5 min walk
- Covent Garden tube (Piccadilly Line), 5 min walk
- Piccadilly Circus tube and Charing Cross (rail) are also within 10 mins walk.
Our special guest speaker: CJ De Mooi
We are pleased to announce our speaker this year will be CJ De Mooi, the actor, producer, model, author and previous star of BBC quiz show Eggheads. He has been President of the English Chess Federation and is a Distinguished Supporter of the British Humanist Association. He is a supporter of Stonewall and homelessness charities, having been homeless himself for 3 years as a teenager. He has been an Ambassador for the National Bullying Helpline and worked for Barnado’s, The Albert Kennedy Trust and Great Ormond Street Hospital. He has recently been lobbying to help Russian LGBT activists around the Sochi Olympics.
He lives with his Civil Partner Andrew in Wales. From 23 - 30 November (just prior to our lunch), CJ will be spending every night living and sleeping back on the streets of London to raise awareness of the issues. We will celebrate his completion of that challenge and invite him to give a short speech following the lunch.
Special prizes on the day
We'll be giving away some very special prizes on the day to lucky winners, including:
- A signed copy of CJ De Mooi's book 'How To Win TV Quiz Shows'
- A copy of audio drama My Mother Was An Alien - Is That Why I'm Gay? signed by star Louise Jameson (Dr Who, Tenko, Eastenders, Bergerac, Doc Martin)
- A copy of the award-winning novel London Triptych signed by author Jonathan Kemp.
- A copy of Stephen Pinker's book The Better Angel's of Our Nature, signed by the author
- Two tickets for Brian and Robin’s Christmas Compendium of Reason - a special Christmas show from Professor Brian Cox and Robin Ince at the Hammersmith Apollo on December 12th or 14th. They promise "Science, music, comedy and wonder. Expect very special guests, fireworks, charm quarks, strange quarks and confusion!"
Select one option per course during booking
- Pressed Duck and Parsley Terrine with rhubarb chutney
- Rosemary and Garlic Battered Brie Wedges, mixed baby leaf and grape salad with balsamic vinaigrette
- Gratinated in Shell King Scallops with gruyere breadcrumbs and a garlic & herb butter
- Roast Breast of Corn Fed Chicken, with julienne of red peppers, cherry tomatoes, black olives and a mixed herb & garlic sauce
- Teriyaki Sea Reared Trout with a ginger, sesame and shallot dressing
- Stilton, Sweet Potato, Squash & Spinach Filo Parcel (v) with grilled pear and rocket salad
all mains served with a selection of roast new potatoes, green beans, mange tout, sugar snaps, asparagus, wilted spinach & red chard
- Lemon Tart topped with toasted pine nuts and served with a lemon infused crème fraîche and raspberry puree
- Chocolate and Raspberry Tart with a brandy & cream sauce
When & Where
Galha LGBT Humanists
For over 32 years Galha LGBT Humanists has promoted Humanism as a free-thinking, rational, ethical worldview. It campaigns for equality and diversity, particularly relating to sexual orientation and identity - in the UK and internationally. We are the LGBT section of the British Humanist Association (BHA) and rely on volunteers and supporter donations for all our work.