3D printing has the potential to change the world we live in, but the technology is still in its infancy. This authoritative masterclass cuts through the hype to show you how the technology works, how you can use it and what you'll need to know, do and buy if you want to take your interest further.
Tutor Ivan Pope is one of the most respected names in the digital arena, and is uniquely qualified to provide a trustworthy analysis of the state of the art – and business. This event offers a definitive introduction to how printers work, the different models, software and services on the market, and how you can join the on-demand manufacturing revolution.
This event offers a comprehensive grounding in the theory and practice of 3D printing, and is aimed at anyone with an interest in the field and a working knowledge of computers. Comprising of a series of presentations, live demonstrations and audience discussions, attendees will see how 3D design and printing works, from concept to the finished item, as well as learn about the available technology and services on the market. Topics covered include:
- Introduction to types of printing and materials
- Varieties of low cost printers
- Input options including scanning and software
- Using bureaus and online services
- Finding sources of online files
- Demonstration of 3D scanning
- How to import a file into printing software
- Live 3D print output
This course is for you if…
- You're a designer looking at branching out into 3D fabrication
- You're considering buying a 3D printer for your home and want to know where to spend your money (or whether to save it)
- You have an idea for a small manufacturing business (or want to shake up one you already run)
- You work in an industry which requires rapid prototyping, such as architecture or engineering
- You're interested in investing in 3D printing technology or business
Ivan Pope is a longterm entrepreneur who has been involved with founding and building several companies in the internet and technology sectors, including NetNames, the world's first domain name registration company. He invented the concept of the internet cafe, and set up the first ever one at the ICA. He is a writer and thought leader on new technology, has published his own internet magazine and was a founding editor of .net magazine. He has written written a book on the internet (Internet UK) and contributed to several others. For the last few years he has been involved with FabLabs and has set up his own 3D print lab in Brighton, Thingmakers.
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.