Get Tech Un-Conference
Wednesday, 17 September 2014 from 10:00 to 15:00 (BST)
Milton, United Kingdom
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Smartphones and tablets and apps, oh my!
Get Tech aims to get touchscreen mobile technology into the hands of the disability and older communities. Let's work together to figure out how mobile technology can help people overcome barriers and live incredible lives.
So how are we going to do it? By bringing a mix of people into the same room, all excited about smartphones/tablets for good, we predict that some seriously incredible things will happen...will you be part of it?
The potential of mobile technology fascinates us. We've spent the last couple of years meeting people who are also excited about the possibilities. Some are using the technology themselves, some are creating new and wonderful things. Unfortunately, a common trend we noticed is the lack of working together, which results in making the same avoidable mistakes and missing out on the ideas that come through collaboration. We aim to break free of these silos, bring together everyone who is interested in mobile technology for older/disabled communities and enable collaboration.
We recognise that this is a fairly broad topic. Therefore, part of the purpose of this event is for you to help us break it down into smaller components and choose a direction for future community events both on and offline.
What's an Un-conference?
No more sitting at the back of the room being talked at by 'experts' all day. An un-conference is based on the belief that everybody in the room has something to contribute and is an expert in their own way. You bring the ideas, you create the agenda, and you join the discussions you are interested in. Our job is to provide the right environment and help to keep the day flowing. So bring your ideas and topics and get ready to get stuck in. *Not sure what topic to discuss? Don't worry, there will plenty of groups with topics you can join in with and you can swap groups at any time!
Who is this for?
Get Tech is about bringing together a whole mix of people. Anyone who is interested in mobile technology for older/disabled communities. From the 'professionals' who are working to do good with mobile technology through to older people wanting to use skype to talk to their grandchildren, or a disabled person looking to increase their independence. Let's get together and collaborate for good.
- People doing good with mobile (a parents who made an app for their disabled child, a company creating accessible mobile tech, a charity using apps, a disabled person using an ipad to talk, an older person using skype on their tablet, etcetc!)
- People wanting to do good with mobile (designer, coder, parent of a child with disabilities, older person, carer, do-gooder, charity, PHD student, disabled person, or anyone who is excited about mobile tech for older/disabled communities!)
- lunch will be provided (please tell us if you have any dietary requirements)
- Our venue space is limited, please be sure to register!
- Invite a friend (and make sure they register too!)
- Yes, we will give you opportunities to enjoy the park throughout the day
When & Where
The You Can Hub
The You Can Hub is a Community Interest Company that supports the development of new ideas and projects by connecting people, skills and organisations. We are run for the community, by the community; supporting people to overcome barriers and see that they can. We are a growing network of professionals and community members working together to create social good.
Proceeds go towards our projects that work alongside people experiencing disadvantage or disability to change their community.