Ryan O'Neill will walk you through a set of hands on aysnc tasks. Bring a laptop with a copy of Visual Studio 2012 (express desktop edition is ok. )
We will be covering the following tasks:-
- Console App - read remote services
- Win Forms - prevent the ui thread blocking
- Testing - how we can test async methods
- Void - when to return void
- Redundancy and scaling - the fastest response wins
- Map and reduce - how to parallelise a task
If you don't have a laptop don't worry as this is will be a sharing session.
When & Where
A few of us from some local dev usergroups have been discussing starting a usergroup focussed on principles in software development. This is not as dry as it sounds – honest! We are essentially trying to avoid the ‘C’ word (Craftsmanship!) as we’re (a) not sure everyone is aware of the term and (b) some of those that are have misconceptions about it – frequently it is seen as elitist. This could not be further from what we are trying to achieve.