How To Become A More Confident And Effective Networker: 4 June 2014
Wednesday, 4 June 2014 from 13:00 to 17:00 (BST)
How To Become A More Confident And Effective Networker
Date: Wednesday 4th June 2014
Venue: UCL, Bloomsbury Campus (to be confirmed upon booking)
Time: 1.00 - 5.00pm
The 'How To Become A More Confident And Effective Networker' workshop is one of a a three part mini-course, Communicating Science to Business, that helps to prepare academics looking to maximise the benefits of presenting their academic research to business audiences.
The other 2 parts of the mini-courses are:
How to Engage with Businesses
Presenting to Business
The stand alone workshops together make up a short programme - attend all three to maximise the value of participating. Particpants that complete all three sessions in the same academic year will receive a certificate to mark their achievements.
HOW TO BECOME A MORE CONFIDENT AND EFFECTIVE NETWORKER
Who should attend?
UCL staff who are interested in learning how to make the most of networking opportunities with potential business, investor, researcher or other collaboration partner.
About the workshop:
In today's highly competitive world, being a confident and effective networker sets you apart from the crowd. You become more visible, always feel in control and will always create more business opportunities than the average. 99% of people dread this vital activity; this session will help you overcome all your fears and concerns.
The workshop focuses on networking and business development skills - in particular how to 'work' a roomful of people. We will de-mystify the process of networking and will help you to relish every roomful of people as a roomful of potential future collaborators and contacts.
Attendees spoke about the previous ‘networking' workshop held, commenting,
“Interesting, thought provoking - everyone should do."
"Excellent short workshop that dimistifies networking."
The workshop will help you by:
- Divulging the secrets to help you destroy all those fears of working the room
- Helping you to be in control, break the ice and start the conversation with strangers
- Showing you how to approach the appropriate people, break into groups and move on with ease and consideration
- Presenting you with ideas with what to talk about and how to be interesting
- Spellings out a process for following up, ensuring you leave every event with a potential business opportunity
- Revealing how you can raise your profile
About the presenter:
The workshop is led by Sue Tonks, a professional speaker and trainer who works extensively with business people and academics at all levels - her message is relevant to everyone who needs to made contacts, create collaborations and progress with their research, programmes or business in the future. It is a must for future business and a must in all areas of your life.
How do I register?
Participation is free but places are limited to 30 people. Please register using the link above.
Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions constitute a legally binding agreement between UCL Advances and the individual registering.
N.B. The term “event” refers to conferences/events/courses and workshops.
Payment and Confirmation of Booking
- If an e-mail confirmation has not been received after completing the registration process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Final details will be sent up to seven working days prior to the event, please contact email@example.com if you do not receive event details.
- UCL Advances cannot be held responsible for the non-arrival of event information.
- During the event, please ensure that your attendance is noted each day to avoid being charged the cancellation fee (see below), normally by signing an attendance sheet at registration.
Cancellations and Refunds
- All cancellations and refund requests must be made in writing 3 full working days (Monday – Friday) prior to the start of the event to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If the above notification period is not given, or in the event of non-attendance, then the following cancellation fee applies:
£25 for a half-day workshop or £50 for 1 or more days - whatever the reason
- Illness: in the event of non-attendance due to illness, a doctor’s certificate must be provided otherwise the full cancellation fee will be charged.
- Individuals who withdraw after the start of an event will still be liable for the cancellation fee.
Non-attendance for paid events: an individual who has registered and doesn’t turn up for the event will be charged the full course fee, in addition to the cancellation fee as above. This is due to administrative, speaker and refreshment costs incurred by the department and your place could have been allocated to another individual.
- Attendees are welcome to send a substitute without incurring a charge, provided UCL Advances is notified in writing (email@example.com) 3 full working days prior to the event.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, UCL Advances reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule an event. In the unlikely event of cancellations, UCL Advances will refund the full amount of the registration fee (if applicable). However personal expenses incurred by the attendee are non-refundable by UCL Advances.
- UCL Advances reserves the right to make changes to the programme, location and/or speakers without prior notice. Such alterations are occasionally necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of UCL Advances.
- UCL Staff
When applying for a course, UCL staff will be asked to provide an account code before the booking is confirmed. The cancellation fee will be automatically charged (according to the above) to your department if UCL Advances is not notified that you are unable to attend the course at least three working days prior to the event.
- UCL Students
UCL students wishing to attend will be personally liable for the cancellation. UCL Advances will contact them directly. As with all monies owed to UCL, unpaid fees may lead to delays in receiving your degree.
External businesses/individuals will be contacted directly for payment details if they don’t comply with the cancellation policy.
- Views expressed by speakers are their own. UCL Advances disclaim any liability for advice given, or views expressed, by any speaker at the event or in any documentation provided by delegates.
Filming and Photography
- Please note that for teaching and promotional purposes there may be a professional photographer and video production taking place during the event.
Delegate Access and Dietary Requirements
- UCL Advances makes every effort that their events are accessible and enjoyable for all attendees and we will always provide a vegetarian option in refreshments supplied.
- If dietary or specific requirements are required please inform firstname.lastname@example.org at the time of booking.
The registration information provided will be held on UCL databases. You may be contacted about other UCL Advances or UCL activities in the future. By submitting this information you agree that your details may be used for this purpose. Your details will not be passed on to any third parties.
When & Where
UCL Advances, UCL's centre for entrepreneurship and business interaction, helps anyone who wants to learn about, start or grow a business. It’s primary role is to promote a culture of entrepreneurship on campus and engagement with entrepreneurs and small businesses beyond UCL’s boundaries. It works to support start-ups and small businesses across London by helping them to access the technical and business expertise of UCL’s staff and students through a series of programmes to help support ambitious young companies.
UCL Advances is affiliated with UCL Enterprise, which provides UCL’s structures for engaging with business for commercial and societal benefit.