Event Background: As 2011 draws to a close the UK’s anti-trafficking efforts are at a crucial stage. A new Government strategy has been in place since July, new victim support provision has been commissioned & the Centre for Social Justice has begun work on a comprehensive review of trafficking & the responses to it in the UK. Yet the problem appears undiminished. Never before has the need for effective front line training been greater. This unique and timely event will attract participants from across the UK to learn about identifying victims of this modern day slavery.
Event Aims: The training day will explore the practical issues around identifying the victims of human trafficking for the purposes of sexual exploitation, domestic servitude, labour exploitation and all other related exploitation.
- Increased awareness of human trafficking
- Increased knowledge of how to identify victims of human trafficking
- Increased reporting of human trafficking
- Increased intelligence for law enforcement agencies
- Increased knowledge of how to respond appropriately when you have identified a victim of human trafficking
Who Should Attend?
Front line workers in: Local Authorities, Social Services, NHS, Housing Associations and the Voluntary Sector, practitioners from the social care, education, health and migrant sectors. Activists involved in the Active Communities against Trafficking movement, community and faith leaders, legal practitioners and solicitors, human rights activists, academics, social researchers, policy makers and the media.
Conference Fee: £49.95 (including beverages, but not lunch – obtainable from several local outlets)
Training Session Details:
UK Trafficking and the Surrounding Issues – an overview of the UK situation and the difficulties around addressing the issues (Andrew Wallis, Founder & CEO Unseen UK)
The New Support Services for Adult Victims - details of the new adult support services, the new providers and how to access these arrangements will be outlined (Major Anne Read, Anti-Trafficking Response Co-ordinator, The Salvation Army)
What is and is not Trafficking – a leading expert from the CPS talks on trafficking, what it is and how it differs from other forms of migration (Pam Bowen, Senior Policy Advisor Crown Prosecution Service)
Identifying Adult Trafficking Cases in our Communities- practical training on identifying victims of Domestic Servitude, Sexual and Labour Exploitation with reference to actual events and case studies (Bex Keer, UK Team Manager, Stop The Traffik)
Identifying Child Trafficking Cases - practical training on identifying child victims of trafficking (Phillip Ishola, Harrow Social Services and London Safeguarding Children Board)
When Exploitation doesn’t fit the Categories – an exploration, based on real cases, of the diversity of exploitation involved in human trafficking (Dr Mike Emberson, former CEO Migrant Help)
Now what do we do?– practical advice on what do if you suspect trafficking is taking place (Colleen Brownlee, Project Manager, City Hearts)
Panel Discussion (with questions from the floor)
When & Where
Genesis Third Sector Consultancy Ltd
Genesis Trafficking is a division of Genesis Third Sector Consultancy Ltd. Set up in 2006, Genesis provides a wide variety of training, coaching and consultancy services. Following the appointment of Dr Mike Emberson as an Associate Director in October 2011, Genesis is now able to offer a wide variety of specialist services in the field of human trafficking.
We offer end-to-end consultancy services, this includes (but is not restricted to):
- staff and trustee training
- writing of funding bids (national lottery, comic relief, grant-making trusts, major donors)
- preparation of tender documents (EU, UK Government and local authority)
- business and service planning
- identification of and negotiation with appropriate partner agencies
- contract review
- liaison with statutory authorities
- procurement of fit for purpose property
- preparation of policies and procedures
- staff recruitment and induction
- team-building and psychometric profiling
- inspection, review and evaluation services
- media handling
- spiritual retreats
- exiting strategies and options appraisals.
- Conference organising services