San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Water Water Everywhere…but when it is ok to drink? Does it exist on other planets? And what we can do to hold it back to prevent floods? Imperial Fringe is back, overflowing with all things H2 and O.
Register here for more information on this latest Imperial Fringe, and to recieve a confirmation email you can exchange during the evening for a free icy treat!!
At Water Water Everywhere you will be able to:
- Make it rain on thirsty pavement that could avoid the temporary lakes and overflowing drains that plague urban areas with Ana Mijic and collaborators from Thames Water
- Journey to the outer Solar System with Michele Dougherty and missions to Jupiter and Saturn as you search for seas beneath the surface of icy cold moons
- Test your ability to tell your Evian from your effluent with Nick Voulvoulis and learn why Londoners drink Oxford’s bathwater
- Dip into parasite infested waters with groups aiming to identify, control and eliminate‘snail fever’ that infects 200 million people each year
- Join planetary geologist Steven Banham as he steps on to the surface of Mars within our Global Data Observatory for a talk about oceans on the red planet
- Fix cracked water pipes with Talib Alhinai and his 3D printing, flying drone designed to reduce water wastage
- Create your own swirling fluid art and explore the rotating flows that are inside and all around us with our Centre for Doctoral Training in Fluid Dynamics across Scales
- Journey beneath the ice and take part in a melting experiment to explain how glacier loss affects sea levels with colleagues from the Grantham Institute
You can also volunteer to help at the event by registering here (external link).
Water Water Everywhere is the latest in Imperial College’s Fringe series of public evening events exploring the livelier side of science. Based on the College’s ground-breaking research, the Fringe programme runs throughout the year to give our friends and supporters an opportunity to meet our researchers and find out more about our work.
Save This Event
When & Where
Imperial College London
Explore cutting edge research with Imperial College London's public events programme. Our events are free and open to all, so whether you’re looking to get hands-on with experiments or find out the most recent advances in science, our programme has something for you and your friends, family and colleagues.
Sign up for our fortnightly newsletter: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/media/jointsignup
Our public talks feature some of the biggest names in science, from other institutions in the UK and beyond. Many are followed by an opportunity to network, meet Imperial researchers and find out more about their work. Join us as these distinguished speakers share their thinking with us.
Imperial Fringe is a series of evening events exploring the livelier side of science. Prepare to think in new dimensions as you join us on a voyage of discovery and debate, inspired by groundbreaking research. Interact on Twitter with #ImpFringe.
Come to meet our new professors and get an in-depth overview of their research, and an insight into their inspiration, as they deliver their inaugural lecture to celebrate their promotion.
Please ensure you register early for your chosen event; registration details are indicated on the individual events pages. All events are free unless stated.
Not all events are listed on Eventbrite. Details of further activities can be accessed on the events calendar at www.imperial.ac.uk/events