This workshop will take you from having a design for an item through to creating that item with a laser cutter in acrylic. The workshop is open to rlab members wishing to get trained up to use the equipment on their own, as well as non-members looking for an intro to the equipment and to view rlab.
The session will cover:
- Suitable materials such as ply, acrylic & foam
- Example pieces you can create
- What the laser cutter can do
- What the laser cutter specifically can't do
- Routes to getting your design into the cutting software
- A walkthrough of all the pieces of hardware that make the laser cutter work, including cooling and air flow
- How to safely prepare the hardware for cutting or engraving
- Preparing your job for printing, head speeds, and cutting power
- Cutter allignment and setting up your cutting bed
- The actual cutting and engraving
- Cleaning up the hardware after use and leaving the equipment in a safe state
- A short bit on finishing laser cut acrylic edges
Spaces are limited, as cutting with a laser takes time and you can only get a few people around it, however I'm repeating this event every month for anyone interested.
Ticket sales go to rlab.
Rlab - Reading Hackspace
A peer run community workshop. We aim to promote learning and new skills to anybody who is interested.