Auto-shoot functions are now so advanced, you may wonder why you would ever need to shoot manually. Until, that is, you see the results.
This four-week masterclass will make sense of the art, science and arcane terms of photography, and show you how to use functions you didn't know your camera has. But there's far more to great photography than just mastering the buttons. Over four weeks, you'll learn to see whole new worlds in your viewfinder, and discover simple tricks and camera tools which will transform the quality of your pictures. You'll also study the creative skills of composition – including framing, patterns and symmetry – and how to use lighting, shutter speed and exposure to best effect. You'll also learn how to process and edit pictures using common home photo management app Adobe Lightbox. Each week, you'll put your new knowledge to the test on a scenic photo walk, where you'll receive tailored feedback to enable you to keep on honing your skills.
This hands-on masterclass is designed to introduce amateur, inexperienced photographers to professional-standard camera functions and photographic techniques. The course comprises of fours sessions of in-studio instruction and practical exercises, three of which will include scenic photo walks.
Topics covered during the course include:
- Using a light meter – how to expose creatively because (and in spite) of it
- Choosing an ISO, and how it affects image quality
- How to read a histogram, and why it will radically change your photography
- Shutter Speed – how to use for freezing and motion blur
- Aperture – using it for subject isolation and sharper images
- Depth of field preview – the most important camera function you're not using
- Creative exposures
- Deciding what is important in your image and exposing for it
- Using mixed light sources
- What is contrast range and why you need to know it
- Understanding the limits and capabilities of your camera
- How (and why) Auto White Balance works
- Learning to 'see' – interpreting the viewfinder
- Creative composition – framing, patterns, symmetry, texture, balancing elements, and how to use the 'rule of thirds'
This course is for you if...
- You want to take better photographs
- You have a new DSLR and want to get the most out of it
Anthony Epes is a fine art and commercial photographer whose work has featured in The Guardian, French Photo and The Telegraph. He recently published two photo books, London at Dawn and Paris at Dawn as part of a series of books on Cities at Dawn. Anthony is currently working on shooting Venice and Istanbul at Dawn as well as a portrait project of the players of the Homeless World Cup, which will be exhibited next year before the World Cup in Rio.
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.