June's Esc Wednesday: Ed Stafford - Walking the Amazon
London, United Kingdom
We’ve got a really exciting evening planned for June 8th’s Esc Wednesday. Our speaker is Ed Stafford – of Walking the Amazon fame (see BBC coverage). We were fortunate enough to have Ed speak at our first birthday party in Jan.
Ed Stafford became the first man to walk the length of the Amazon river in South America from the source to the sea. He walked for 860 days. He started on 2nd April 2008 and finished in August 2010. No-one had ever done what he attempted.
June’s Esc Wednesday will be a sneak preview of Ed’s UK Theatre Tour which begins the following night on the 9th June. Check out where else you can catch him in June here.
An Evening with Ed Stafford.
European Adventurer of the Year Ed Stafford will be with us at our June Esc Wednesday to talk about his remarkable world-first expedition, an ‘impossible journey’ tracing the entire length of the Amazon on foot – which he completed in August 2010.
June is an exciting month for Ed, with his first book being published and a theatre tour planned for the UK. Ed’s book Walking the Amazon, (Virgin) – is an honest and articulate examination of what it took to organise, undertake and complete this expedition.
Please join us:
We will be meeting at Adam Street Club – the private members club for entrepreneurs just off the Strand on the evening of Wednesday 8th June. Ed will be giving a short talk on his story before we open it up to the room for a Q&A session.
To attend please do two things:
- Buy your ticket
- Send us a question for Ed: firstname.lastname@example.org (please do do this – makes for a great Q&A)
5 reasons to come…
- You’d like to meet someone who’s completed a world-first expedition, previously deemed ‘impossible’. You might have heard/seen Ed Stafford’s story when he became the first man to walk the entire length of the Amazon in August 2010.
- You’re interested in finding out what it’s really like to walk day after day through thick jungle, often up to your chest in swampy water infested with caiman and piranha.
- You’re keen to organise an expedition yourself and would like to find out more about how it’s done.
- There’s nothing wrong with living vicariously! Through Ed’s talk and the fantastic images of the Amazon he will show you can travel to the Amazon and back without having to get out of your seat. And you can have a pint at the same time.
- You want to find out more about Escape the City and want to have a chat with founders Dom & Rob.
Details, details, details:
- Date: Wednesday 8th June.
- Kick-off: Bar opens 6 pm, talk starts between 7.30 and 8 pm
- Venue: Adam Street Club - 9 Adam Street, The Strand ,WC2N 6AA
- Directions: Nearest tubes: Embankment / Charing Cross.
- Food: Food will be able to order from the bar menu.
- Closing Time: The bar closes at 1 am. Definitely stay for a drink!
- Capacity: 80 people.
- Cost: £5 buy your ticket here.
- More: What is an Esc Wednesday?
9 Adam Street
WC2N 6AA London
Escape the City - The Escape School
The Escape School is Escape the City's events arm.
We put on courses, events and meetups aimed at educating and empowering corporate professionals for alternative career paths, entrepreneurialism and adventure.
There is so much rubbish career and startup advice out there. So many unhelpful myths. We are building the Escape School to teach what we wish we’d learnt back in 2009 when we were stuck… sitting glumly on the Tube wondering how on earth to get out.
If Escape the City is a community that helps corporate professionals ‘do something different’ then the Escape School is where we engage closely with you (in the real world). It has been founded with one single objective: to help you grapple with that huge, scary, unmanageable yet exciting question: “What Next?"