Learn how to spot stories, pitch them to editors and make a living as a freelance writer
Bursting with ideas for stories, but unsure how to get them published? Don’t miss out on this jargon-free journalism class. Led by features writer and foreign reporter Lauren Razavi, this lively evening course will teach you how to spot stories, pitch them to editors and get paid for writing them.
Whether you’re just starting out as a journalist or want to improve your chances of getting commissions, the class will help you to communicate more effectively with editors and get your work published. During the class, Lauren will also give hard-earned advice on how to make a living as a freelance writer, and provide feedback on a handful of students’ pitches, making it a class that budding journalists won’t regret investing in.
Click here to read Lauren’s advice for freelance writers on the Guardian Masterclasses blog
- How to make the transition from citizen or student journalism to professional writing
- Advice on turning your writing hobby into a career
- What to expect from life as a freelance journalist
- Making a living through journalistic work
- How to spot and pitch strong stories to editors – and get paid for writing them
- Building and maintaining relationships with editors
- Crafting high-quality journalism
- How to build your web presence through social media
- Opportunity for feedback: generating story ideas and creating pitches
- Q&A and group discussion
Optional course preparation
- You’re invited to bring along an idea for a story you’d like to a pitch to an editor. If you’d like to complete this pre-course work, please email email@example.com for a pitch template – and send us your pitch by 4pm on Wednesday 2 November
- The course includes opportunities for constructive feedback on story ideas and attendees’ pitches
- Please note – submitting a pitch in advance is not necessary to attend the class or benefit from it
Lauren Razavi is a freelance journalist who specialises in feature writing and foreign reporting. As a university student, she forged a path in freelance journalism, ultimately funding a Masters degree through her writing. She currently contributes to a range of UK and US publications, including regular work for the Guardian, New Statesman and VICE. Find out more about Lauren on her website.
Sign up to our newsletter and you’ll be among the first to find out about our latest courses and special offers. You can also follow us on Twitter, and read our latest articles and interviews on our blog.
Save This Event
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.