Thank you for signing up to participate as a volunteer data scientist in the DataKind UK London DataDive! We are incredibly excited that you have volunteered your time, skills, and energy to help the participating social organisations.
Below is an outline of the schedule for the weekend, with specific details included for each day. Please read it over carefully so that you understand how things will operate during the event. And as always, please let us know if you have any questions.
101 St. Martins Lane (3rd Floor)
Friday, July 26th
- 7:00 PM: Doors open
- 7:30 PM: Presentation from social organisations
- 8:30 - 11:00 PM: Networking mixer with snacks and drink
The evening will involve presentations from the invited social organisations. This will be followed immediately by a party to get everyone well mixed. This will give all of the participants a chance to meet each other and begin discussing projects with the organisation representatives.
Saturday, July 27th
- 9:00 AM: Doors open, sign-in and breakfast
- 10:00 AM: Brief review from Data Ambassadors, then data diving!
- 1:00 PM: Lunch
- 6:00 PM: Dinner
- 11:00 PM: Everybody goes home for the night
Saturday we'll get to the data! DataDivers will choose which organisation they'd like to work with and form teams around their individual questions. Each organisation will have a Data Ambassador assigned to them who will help advise on and manage the projects throughout the day. We'll have meals and keep the space open until 11PM for any late-night divers.
Sunday, July 28th
- 9:00 AM: Doors open, breakfast
- 10:30 AM: Presentations from teams to social organisations
- 12:00 PM: Another successful DataDive in the books!
This is your chance to show the social organisations what you have done with their data! There is no expectation of slides or other presentation materials, simply use whatever method of conveying your work to the organisations you feel is best. This is also the chance for the organisations to ask you questions about how and why you chose your project. These presentations can be single or group work, but they can be no longer than 10 minutes each. We want to give everyone a chance to speak, and get people out at a reasonable time.
Other items of note for the weekend
- There is a Github repository setup to use for sharing code, data, and analyses during the event. The repository is located at: https://github.com/datakind/Datadives , with a subdirectory for the London event. This will be our primary resource for capturing everything developed at the DataDive, so please use it for sharing and collaboration.
- We do not assign you to a social organisation. We want you to work with the organisation and data you feel most passionate about, so come Friday with an open mind and be ready to learn.
- You do not have to stay the entire weekend to participate in the event. We hope that you will find a project you can dig into, but you are always welcome to come and go as you please.
- You do not have to work with the same social organisation for the whole weekend. Again, we hope that you will find a project to work on to completion, but if at any point you feel like you want to change simply let the Ambassador from those teams know.
- We do not provide any hardware or software for you to use. We'll have the data and some services setup (wiki, DropBox, Github), but otherwise you should bring your own laptop and come ready to use whatever data tools you like.
This event is kindly supported by:
and Harvey Bayer