LOPO London 3 - 23rd February
Thursday, 23 February 2012 from 18:30 to 22:30 (GMT)
London, United Kingdom
Update on 9th Feb. LOPO remains ever popular and initial places gone almost immediately. More places released.
After the success of London LOPO 2 in January, and due to popular demand we're ploughing straight on with London LOPO 3; same venue and, we hope, much of the same vibe. (Again apologies if you're not in London - we will address the mailing list issues when we have our new web-space sorted).
We listened hard at the last meeting (and those of you that have been in touch since) and we'll be trying a new meeting format including a slightly different room set up, easier ways to capture ideas and input, along with some other 'serendipity tools'.
Similar to the last meeting we'll have
- a short update on the progress of LOPO (there is some good news on developing a web space for us and the launching of other LOPO chapters)
- some updates from LOPO-launched projects
- a place for new projects (or ongoing projects looking for fresh input) to get LOPOists thinking for them - using the new format.
As before we're meeting upstairs at The Green Pub and Dining Room in Clerkenwell (Farringdon Tube and Rail). You can find a map below and the pub's website is here.
So come down to:
- propose projects (do think about something you'd like to kick off)
- get help with projects you have ongoing
- or see if you have anything to offer projects presented - so many people have found this a great way to do something positive already.
As always it's an opportunity to bump into people who want to make the world better - it's all about serendipty and the meeting of minds...
Mark, Tom & Fiona
When & Where
League of Pragmatic Optimists
The League of Pragmatic Optimists (LOPO) is a meeting place in cities and towns across the globe where people who want to make the world better can meet, generate ideas and projects, get inspiration and a recharge, find collaborators and have their neurons tickled in the cause of improving the story of humanity. Another way of looking at it is as an exercise in ‘engineered serendipity’ – a mechanism for diverse people and ideas to bump into each other and create (and deliver) projects that aim to improve things. Local chapters meet at regular intervals to free themselves from day-to-day organisational or mental silos, and network in an inspiring atmosphere of do-ers.
Our 8 Principles
- Have an unashamed optimism of ambition
- Involve yourself in projects that are bigger than you
- Engineer serendipity
- You are what you do, not what you intend to do
- Making mistakes is OK, but not trying is irresponsible
- Commit to evidence – also known as ‘Think like an engineer, not like a politician’
- You will lose a lot (in the beginning) – also know as ‘Play the long game’
- Police your own cynicism
In addition LOPO is a-religious and a-party-political. All stripes are welcome but don’t come to promote your stripes.