Norfolk CAS Scratch Off 2013
The Norfolk Scratch Off 2013 is organised by Norfolk CAS and is a competition for anyone who will be between 9 and 14 years old in July 2013. The idea is to produce a game in Scratch – ideally as part of a team of 2,3 or 4 members but you can also enter as an individual if you like.
To enter, please get your ICT or Computing teacher to complete this form to bring along a number of teams. Schools can enter up to 3 teams and the finals will be held at the school of computing at the University of East Anglia (UEA) on 3rd July 2013 so you need to finish your game by the end of June 2013. There will be prizes for the best games but mostly this is about having fun building games!
What You Need To Do
Build a game in Scratch. You can, if you like, build any sort of game (for example a maze game, an adventure game or a shoot ‘em up) but we would recommend producing a platform game as follows. At a minimum it should do the following:
- Have at least two levels of difficulty (and getting through the first takes you to the next).
- Allows your character to jump, move left and move right.
- Gives you 3 lives and you lose a life if you fall too far off a platform.
If can you can do that, then why not move on to do the following too:
- Add more levels which get harder and harder.
- Have different objects to collect which score you points.
- Have a playing space bigger than the screen so you have to scroll about as your character moves.
- Anything else that you can think of (extra points for invention!!).
How Your Games Will Be Judged
The games will be judged using the following criteria:
- Use of graphics – how nice does it look (10 points)
- Game play – how well does it play as a game (10 points)
- Inventiveness – what novel and clever things does the game do (10 points)
- Sophistication of the game – i.e. number of levels, use of other characters, etc. (10 points)
- Other things that appeal to the judges (10 points)