San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
ONE IN THREE WOMEN ON THE PLANET WILL BE RAPED OR BEATEN IN HER LIFETIME
ONE BILLION WOMEN VIOLATED IS AN ATROCITY
ONE BILLION WOMEN RISING IS A REVOLUTION
On Thursday 14th February 2013 we are inviting you to participate in a collective group action which will involve us taking 10 minutes to rise slowly from lying to standing. This will take place at 12 noon in the centre of the city of York.
PLACE: St Sampson's Square, York city centre
DATE: Thursday 14th February 2013
TIME: 12 noon
ONE BILLION RISING IS:
A global strike
A call to men and women to refuse to participate in the status quo until rape and rape culture ends
An act of solidarity, demonstrating to women the commonality of their struggles and their power in numbers
A refusal to accept violence against women and girls as a given
An invitation to act
We are rising for women everywhere, for those who do not have the strength, the ability or the freedom to rise. Please join us in literally taking a stand.
Please take a moment to watch the film below and sign up on our eventbrite page!
Guidelines for participants:
· Come the big day we will be rising, regardless of the weather! If you would feel more comfortable laying down on a towel or yoga mat please bring one with you (or wear something you don’t mind getting slightly wet or dirty).
· Feel free to wear whatever you need to in order to feel comfortable – however, the official colours of the One Billion Rising campaign are black and red.
· Do put your safety first – if you have any injuries which make sustaining a position painful to a particular part of your body think about supporting yourself in ways which avoid this area.
· We suggest you practice rising before the event, perhaps timing yourself, in order to get a good idea of what the experience might feel like. This will also help you identify the most comfortable way for you to rise up. The idea is that we take 10 minutes to rise slowly from a lying to a standing position but this doesn’t mean that you have to move constantly – feel free to pause if you need to!
· We’ll begin at 12 noon (there’ll be a musical cue to mark the beginning and end of the rising) but you might like to get there a little earlier to soak up the atmosphere and have a look at the space