“The most relevant training that
I have attended in my 34 years’ service.”
Security vetting officer at large national employer
21 January 2016 - SOLD OUT
13 April 2016 - SOLD OUT
This one-day workshop equips you with the knowledge and practical resources you need to be confident in the recruitment of ex-offenders and ensure that your processes comply with recent changes to legislation
To book your place for safer recruitment and carrying out risk assessments training, click the relevant date below. If you would prefer to be invoiced, please complete our booking form.
Evidence suggests that the UK is currently suffering from a chronic skills shortage which is holding back the economy (source: BBC news). Indeed, many employers report that they increasingly struggle to find people with the right skills, abilities and mindset to fill their vacancies. With over 10 million people in the UK (around 20% of the workforce) holding a criminal record, and the majority of these for relatively minor offences, this represents a huge pool of untapped resource and potential talent.
This course will help you develop the legal knowledge and skills you need to strike the right balance between safeguarding and enabling people with criminal records to have equal access to education, training, employment and other opportunities. The course also provides a toolkit of practical resources to help you implement the changes back at work.
Nacro’s Employer Advice Service
Nacro is a registered charity that aims to positively change lives, enhance social inclusion and strengthen communities. Nacro’s Employer Advice Service gives organisations the confidence to assess and manage risk in relation to the disclosure of criminal records and allegations relating to applicants or existing staff or volunteers. This free, confidential advice line offers expert advice and operational support to organisations to help them strike a balance between safeguarding and enabling people with criminal records to have equal access to education, training, employment and other opportunities. For more information contact Nacro’s Employer Advice Service on 0845 600 3194 or email us.
Who is it for?
This course is ideal for anyone involved in making or overseeing recruitment or retention decisions, including hiring managers, designated safeguarding officers and in-house lawyers— across all sectors.
By the end of this course you’ll have a greater understanding of how you can:
- Save money on recruitment costs by getting it right first time
- Minimise any potential or perceived risks that might be involved
- Improve your workforce diversity
- Recruit from a wider pool of potential talent
- Meet your CSR objectives
- Improve your corporate reputation
- Avoid unnecessary and costly legal pitfalls
- Understand and apply the relevant legislation that impacts upon recruitment including: the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (ROA), the ROA Exceptions Order 1975 (as amended 2013) and the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Determining what level of criminal record check is appropriate for the role.
- Understand how to implement safer recruitment policies and practices
- Use the tools provided to develop effective risk assessment policies and procedures
- Learn how to interpret and manage criminal record disclosure information to inform risk assessment process
- Learn how to gather other necessary information to carry out effective risk assessments on applicants, or existing staff and volunteers who have criminal records or have been subject to serious allegations
- Understand how to manage allegations that have been made against applicants or existing employees.
Do you have questions about Recruiting safely and fairly?