San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Public meeting called by
- Glasgow Campaign to Welcome Refugees
- Glasgow Refugee Asylum and Migration Network (GRAMNet)
- Scottish Refugee Council
- Positive Action in Housing
- Scottish Trades Union Congress
- Afghan Centre for Human Rights and Democracy
- Scottish Catholic Justice and Peace Commission
Please come along on Tuesday 29th to hear:
- Eyewitness reports from Athens and Lesvos from 'Glasgow Campaign to Welcome Refugees' committee members Pinar Aksu, Amal Azzudin and Margaret Woods following their mid-September solidarity visit to Greece.
- Also speaking Robina Qureshi (Positive Action in Housing); John Wilkes (Scottish Refugee Council); Professors Rebecca Kay & Alison Phipps (GRAMNet); & Keir McKechnie (Stop the War)
A dam has burst. Tidal waves of frustration, shame and downright anger have been released by a series of horrors crystallised by the deeply touching photograph of a drowned child. Everywhere individuals and organisations are taking the action themselves that our government should be taking: collecting money and goods and transporting them themselves to Calais, volunteering to house refugees in their own homes, collecting money to take to Lesvos, applauding refugees crossing their borders, nationally and internationally, standing with candles in respect for refugees everywhere.
By these actions, millions across the world show the possibilities for a better, kinder, more equal, more compassionate world. Hear eyewitness reports of what is happening in Athens and Lesvos; what others are doing; and most importantly what you can do to defend refugees.
Doors will open at 18.00 for refreshments before the event. Please come join us.
This event is FREE to attend - but please register here if you plan to attend so we can monitor capacity for the venue.
Accessibility: We aim to ensure that people have equal access to public events. If you need alternative formats or other reasonable adjustments, please contact Lauren Roberts on 0141 330 8125 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request by 12.00 noon on 24 September 2015 so that arrangements, where possible, can be made.
You can preview the venue facilities via the DisabledGo Venue Guide:
If your organisation wants to add its name to list of those calling this meeting, please contact us.
Event Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/944833995608568/
You can still contribute to Lesvos solidarity collection: