An essential course which aims to provide participants with a working knowledge around Child Protection and Safeguarding issues and to act as a foundation and a springboard for further learning about the complexity of these issues.
The course will also offer an insight into how Child Protection fits into the broader context of Safeguarding Children. This course will help participants develop an understanding of signs and symptoms of child about to enable them to be truly confident to report their concerns. It will also help participants to consider the kind of responses they might have to a disclosure of child abuse in order to develop best practice. The course will ensure participants have a basic grounding in the law, and in the national and local guidance, policies and procedures surrounding Child Protection and Safeguarding. Participants will be exploring how their own values can affect how we approach Child Protection, including how we can work in partnership with parents, allowing for much discussion and analysis throughout the day. Understanding will be checked and developed through individual exercises, groupwork and role play.
This course is regularly reviewed in the light of recently published Serious Case Reviews and has received outstanding feedback over the years. Mandy Parry Training seeks to make the issue of Child Protection truly accessible to all members of the children’s workforce so that it is a really priority to all professionals who work with children and families.
This course will enable participants to:
- Explore thresholds for intervention.
- Define Child Protection and Safeguarding and what is meant by abuse.
- Understand the current legal framework, national guidance, local procedures.
- Explore value issues.
- Define and explore the signs and symptoms of the four main categories of abuse.
- Gain awareness of appropriate responses to children’s disclosure of abuse.
- Learn correct recording procedures.
- Understand the importance of reporting.
- Outline the referral process with reference to policy and procedures.
- Practice working in partnership with parents.
*Please note that while tea, coffee and water will be available to delegates throughout the day, lunch will not be provided so it is advisable to bring a packed lunch (there is also no on-site catering provision at the Business Park).
*Registration and tea/coffee will be available at 9.15am, for a 9.30am start.
Do you have questions about Safeguarding Basic Awareness - Open Course?
Contact Mandy Parry Training