MSc Showcase 2012
On the 14th of September InfoLab21 will be hosting a showcase mini-conference of the research work being carried out across all the MSc programmes at the School of Computing and Communications. In total this years finishing cohort includes 41 students from the following courses:
- MSc Advanced Computer Science
- MSc Cyber Security
- MSc Distributed Systems Engineering
- MSc DSP and Intelligent Systems
- MSc Human Computer Interaction
- MSc Mobile Broadband Communications
- MSc Multimedia Production and Distribution
- MSc Network and Internet Systems
Our Masters students have spent several months researching their chosen topic for their dissertation with a wide range of topics being covered. During the event 6 students will be selected to give 15 minute presentations (inc 5 minutes of Q&A) to a mixed academic and industry audience giving a great chance for regional companies to see and feedback on some of the excellent work being carried out at InfoLab21.
The event presents an opportunity for businesses to engage directly with the graduating talent from the Masters programmes from the School of Computing and Communications. Some of the students will be going out into the workplace, others will be looking to stay in research. Companies attending will be provided with a great opportunity to give feedback at the presentations, hear about emerging research and, perhaps, network with the technologists and scientists of the future.
Why attend and what will you get out of it?
- Meet students and academics from Lancaster University's School of Computing and Communications
- Connect with future researchers working in key areas
- Meet InfoLab21’s Business Support staff and find out how you might work with us
Who should attend?
- Companies looking to find out more about Lancaster University's School of Computing and Communications
- Those interested in the latest research being undertaken within the department
- Businesses looking to recruit specialist staff in these areas
- Companies interested in how the teams and skills at InfoLab21 might help their business
09:30 Refreshments, registration and networking
10:00 Ayodele Dawodu - Exploiting Low-Cost Computing: AndroidRFID Check-In Application
10:15 Tendayi Wilson Mazaiwana - Access Technologies Emulation Controller
10:30 Tu Vuong - Real-Time Distributed Network Traffic Classification Framework
10:45 Break, refreshments and networking
11:15 Prakash Iyer - Assessing ther Performance of Fountain Coding in Wireless Networks
11:30 Alaa Elrayeh - Individual Differences in Risky Behaviour
11:45 Mark Pegram - IT Security in Wireless Medical Devices
12:00 Lunch and networking
12:30 Industry roundtable and discussion on the day
13:00 Awards ceremony
13:15 Closing statement from the team
13:30 Close of event
As part of this event, three prizes are being sponsored by attending companies in order to recognise the work undertaken by students. These prizes are:
- Most promising commercial opportunity - Award of £50 Amazon voucher kindly sponsored by Savant Limited
- Best research idea - Award of £20 Amazon voucher kindly sponsored by A.T. Transport World Services Group Ltd
- Best presentation - Award of £10 Amazon voucher kindly sponsored by SurveyMe
Savant Limited’s core competency is developing innovative software solutions that meet the business goals of their clients.
These solutions are either bespoke software that their clients use in-house to gain competitive advantage, or custom applications that they can resell. Savant’s staff work with their clients to deliver custom or bespoke solutions that align their strategic IT and business visions.
If required Savant staff also work with their clients in marketing and selling their custom applications. They provide pre-sales technical support, market research, lead management, events and demos etc. as required.
A.T. Transport World Services Group Ltd are a “one stop shop” for all your transport needs incorporating chauffeur services, logistics, driver training, European chauffeur federation and corporate travel arrangements. We tailor our service to the client's requirements offering them a bespoke service suited to their needs.
SurveyMe (www.survey-me.co) was launched in 2011 as the first ever UK-based Smartphone application for customer feedback, consumer insights, customer experience management. Delivered by a unique free mobile App, SurveyMe is the fastest, most flexible and portable way of receiving, recording and rewarding ‘point of experience’ customer feedback.
Based on personal experiences, the team set out to create a one stop shop for all types of surveys or feedback everywhere that mobile smart phones work. Your surveys only take minutes to creat and are automatically live once you've created them. Compared to other ways of getting feedback, SurveyMe is:
- Faster, more flexible and more environmentally-friendly than paper surveys
- More convenient and portable than web or email surveys
- More scalable, quicker and cheaper than a myster shopping program
- More reliable and secure for structured feedback than review websites like Trip Advisor
SurveyMe is available on iPhone, iPad and Android devices. Since its launch we've been encouraged by the innovative ways that our clients are using the software and apps with higher response rates than they previously got.
In early 2012 SurveyMe expanded and launched in New Zealand and continues to grow globally at almost 2 new users an hour. Join and try SurveyMe for free by registering on www.survey-me.co
Please contact Carolyn Hayes firstname.lastname@example.org or 01524 510465 if you have any problems with registering.
ISTEP at InfoLab21
This event is supported by InfoLab21 as part of ISTEP's regional events programme.
ISTEP is a project designed to indentify and support interactions between the North West’s Digital and Creative industries and InfoLab21’s Departments of Computing and Communication Systems, directly helping businesses to collaborate with the 270+ strong research community at InfoLab21.
ISTEP is delivered under the “Innovation, Advice and Guidance” product, part of the Government’s Solutions for Business portfolio, a highly targeted, publically funded suit of products and services offering solutions to real business needs.
When & Where
InfoLab21, Lancaster University
InfoLab21 is Lancaster University's world-class ICT Centre of Excellence.
It is a well equipped, high-tech environment providing ICT support for businesses, business incubation facilities, ICT education & training, and research & development.