Self-publishing is one of the great cultural success stories of the digital era. But to make the most of this literary revolution, you'll need to know how the medium – and the market – work. Bestselling author-entrepreneur Joanna Penn will give you the full benefit of her experience in this lively, hands-on course.
Through a series of in-depth discussions and practical exercises, you'll learn how to publish and promote your writing, with tailored feedback to help refine your personal publishing strategy. From choosing a self-publishing service to marketing the finished product, you'll explore topics including formatting, distribution and pricing. No matter what you write, or who you're writing for, this intimate masterclass will give you a head start in bringing your work to new audiences.
- How self-publishing fits into the current publishing eco-system
- Prerequisites of successful self-publishing
- How to self-publish ebooks and sell them online, including formatting, pricing and major distribution sites
- How to self-publish in print, using print on demand or small print runs
- How to evaluate self-publishing services – and how to avoid expensive mistakes
- The business of self-publishing – timelines, budgets and the entrepreneurial mindset
- Tips on marketing your self-published book through traditional and social media
This course is for you if...
- You're an independent author who wants to retain full editorial control, or a higher percentage of royalties, by publishing your own work
- You've completed a draft of a book but are experiencing difficulty getting your manuscript published or securing representation, and you'd like to understand your options
- You're interested in setting yourself up as an independent author and want to know more about the processes and costs involved
Joanna Penn is the independent author of ARKANE thrillers, Pentecost, Prophecy and Exodus, as well as the non-fiction book, Career Change. Joanna's site for writers www.TheCreativePenn.com has been voted one of the Top 10 blogs for writers and self-publishers and offers articles, audio and video on writing, publishing and book marketing. Joanna is also an Advisor to the Alliance of Independent Authors and a professional speaker. Connect with Joanna on twitter @thecreativepenn
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.