ShipShape // Good For Nothing in Bristol
Friday, July 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM - Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 5:00 PM (BST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Good for Nothing is heading west to Bristol for 48 Hours of Social Innovation.
This is the first Good for Nothing gig in Bristol - titled #ShipShape - taking place on July 20-22 at Pervasive Media Studio, Watershed, Harbourside.
The creative community and social enterprise working together for good.
Collaborating and co-creating together with Bristol/SW-based creative doers and makers to accelerate 3 of Bristol's leading social innovators. The project briefs will be posted shortly!
There'll be music, food, drink and lots of doing not just talking - collaborating and experimenting and supporting grassroots social and environmental innovators.
Spread the word to fellow Bristol/SW folk who you think might be up for it - especially maker crews - developers, designers, animators, film-makers, bloggers, editors, technologists, strategists, communicators etc.
Challenge 1: The Bristol Pound
The Bristol Pound is for the good of Bristol and its people, but for it to be a success the people have to embrace it and use it. We have received a lot of support from the green movement and community organisations in the city but we need to reach out and be adopted across the city. We currently have a list of approximately 1,000 signed up supporters. We want to quickly grow the number who open accounts to 5,000. The population of Bristol is over 400,000. We want people to spread the word and encourage friends and businesses to sign up. Our aim is for the Bristol Pound to become normal, not marginal.
How do we get the message out clearly and concisely, across communities, that moves people to say “I get it! This is something for me, and this is something for my friends.”
Challenge 2: Playing Out
Playing Out is an exciting not-for-profit information and advice resource for street play.
We aim to increase children’s safe access to informal play in residential streets through:
- Directly supporting resident-led street play sessions
- Running workshops for parents and residents
- Coordinating a network of 'street organisers'
- Providing free resources and advice
- Training play/community professionals
- Communicating the benefits of street play
- Working with policy-makers to enable street play
Challenge 3: Home Turf Lettings
There are hundreds of homeless people in and around Bristol, who would make good, reliable tenants, but they can’t find housing because landlords won’t rent to you if you’re homeless, don’t have a track record, or are unemployed.
This means that they are trapped in a cycle of homelessness or unsuitable housing.
Home Turf Lettings is a social enterprise that acts as a safety net. We make it much easier and safer for landlords to let their properties to people in need, thereby helping vulnerable people to find and keep a home. We want people to be proud of where they live, feel safe and have a base from which they can get their lives back on track again.
- We need to identify, engage and sign up landlords and properties
- We need to better communicate who we are and what we do through
- a website / online presence / social media through which we can engage people, network, channel enquiries and grow our database; and
- refining our messaging / branding / marketing materials
- Review, challenge and refine our marketing strategy, to produce a realistic action plan for us to move forward
- And if there is time…..identify (and maybe contact!?) potential partners and organisations we could collaborate with both to find more housing and to improve the experience for our tenants
Friday Night (6.30-9.30pm ish)
Causes' pitch - then vote for who you want to work with, small social getting to know your team mates!
Saturday Day (10-6)
Straight to work. Into teams doing some good! Stop for lunch (provided) and team presentation catch up at the end of the day.
Sunday Day (10-5)
Same as Saturday with final presentations and awe at the awsomeness of all the work achieved!
Please sign-up and keep an eye out on Twitter for updates.
@g00dfornothing / #ShipShape