Social media is now the biggest source of internet traffic worldwide – it has already transformed the way we communicate, and has huge potential to change opinions, minds, and even behaviours. But with so many voices vying for attention online, it's easy for your cause to get lost in the chatter. Whether you're hoping to raise funds or awareness, this intensive day-long masterclass covers everything you need to know to focus public attention via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and other social media platforms.
Save the Children digital media manager Rosie Childs shows how charities can get the most from social networking. You'll learn how to shape a social media strategy that makes a difference, and take advantage of the media's unique qualities, from creating shareable participatory content with real impact, to tips for dealing with sensitive issues in under 140 characters.
This course teaches participants how to use social media to create and manage standalone and long-term campaigns, as well as how to use platforms Twitter, Facebook and YouTube to build relationships with other media, report current events, raise funds and increase awareness of your organisation. Topics covered include:
- Dealing with sensitive subjects on social media
- Gaining followers – and the effect this has on donations
- Working with bloggers and YouTube users for charity campaigns
- The dos and don'ts of long-term blogger outreach work
- Using social media to tell stories that wouldn't make it into the traditional press
- ow to integrate social media into a traditional PR campaign
- Creating short but high profile social media campaigns with bespoke pages
- Reputation management
- Developing a social media strategy
- Understanding and interpreting social media metrics
- Optimising content for smartphones and tablets
- Tracking, benchmarking and analytics
This course is for you if…
- You work for a charity and want to improve your social media profile or strategy, either to raise donations or increase your organisation's visibility
- You're an independent campaigner or activist who wants to publicise a cause or mobilise support
- You're a social media enthusiast keen to put your networking skills to use for good causes
Rosie Childs is Save the Children's digital media manager, leading on social media and digital journalism across their busy media team. Rosie designs global social and digital media campaigns, runs the organisation's outreach work with influential bloggers, develops digital media partnerships and drives innovation in their digital storytelling. A former BBC radio producer, she combines a passion for campaigning with a strong belief in the power of online communities to bring about social change.
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.