Super Cool Algos and Future Cities mini-hack
Saturday, July 27, 2013 from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM (BST)
London, United Kingdom
We are organising a one day mini-hack with our colleagues from Data Science London sponsored by Microsoft UK and Hortonworks.
This meetup will be about 4 things:
1. Super cool data science algorithms
2. London as a city of the future
3. Meet new friends, network around, share your ideas
4. Hack a bit of data, and solve a mini data challenge.
10am Welcome, Coffee and tea
10.30 "Grok" talks start
Talk 1- Deep Dive HDInsight talk with Andy Cross, Richard Conway and Isaac Abraham
Talk 2 – “How to enhance data apps and workflows with the power of Type Safe Scripting and F#” by Matthew Moloney
Talk 3- “Scaling by Cheating: Approximation, Sampling and Fault-friendliness for Scalable Big Learning” by Sean Owen, Founder of Myrrix and new Director of Data Science @Cloudera
Talk 4 - "Stinger and Tez" by Hortonworks
1pm Free Pizza + Beers Served
Share your ideas. Brainstorm and discussion session: What would be a cool hackathon on London as a city of the future?
1.30 pm Mini-data science challenge starts:
- 1. Create a visualisation of boris bikes usage across London.
- 2. Develop a model that predicts when tube stations are going to be crowded, to allow users to avoid certain stations at that time.
- 3. Develop a model that predicts busiest days and times for individual stations so that passengers can plan their journey to avoid the most congested stations or time
The datasets will be provided by Transport for London
The winners will receive £100 cash prize.
6pm Hack day ends, everyone goes for beer!
When & Where
The UK Windows Azure User Group. Meeting monthly for evenings and weekly for mornings to discuss and consult on Microsoft's Windows Azure cloud computing platform