The UK is, per capita, the largest e-commerce market in the world. An online store is now the simplest way to monetise a website, and for small businesses, it's the best possible route to providing national access to your products and services.
This jargon-free evening course will show you everything you need to know to make sure your website is open for business, including how to find the right e-commerce and order processing platforms for your needs, how to design an attractive storefront (or have someone do it for you), and how to ensure your visitors have the most engaging possible shopping experience. There are also tips on marketing your site through social media to maximise its commercial potential, and how to use simple tools to track the performance of your online store.
This lively, informative evening uses real-life case studies to provide a practical approach to the key skills and tools you need to get started right away. From chosing the right software to marketing the finished product, this evening could be the most significant night in the life of your site.
- Choosing an e-commerce platform thats right for your business
- From PayPal to Stripe – choosing the best payment provider
- Designing your first storefront – or commissioning the professionals
- Create an engaging shopping experience for your users
- From Instagram to Pinterest – marketing your site through social media
- Tools and tips for tracking the performance of your online store
This course is for you if...
- You're a small business owner looking to expand your customer base and marketing reach
- You operate a website and want to sell merchandise or offer your services to clients
- You want to be part of the e-commerce boom and want to better understand the opportunities
Lee Simpson is a Senior User Experience Architect at The Guardian, working on Digital CMS and interactive projects. Prior to working at The Guardian, Lee worked working with clients such as ITV, Channel 4, TalkTalk, EE and the NHS as both a designer and developer. Lee has extensive knowledge e-commerce platforms including Shopify, and has bee guest lecturer on HyperIslands E-Commerce Business program. In 2013 Lee was as mentor on both the Ignite100 and SearchCamp start-up accelerator programs.
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.