San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
2 day weekend workshop (+1 prep evening) // 9:30am-5pm both days // Level: Beyond Basics // Cost: £150 (including pattern) // Instructor: Cassandra Belanger & Susie Haigh // Pattern: Fitting Pattern by Storybook Patterns
About This Course
We're all made in different shapes and sizes. Thankfully. And so, when it comes to making your own clothes from a set pattern, it can sometimes get a bit tricky. But in this two-day practical masterclass, led by our two most senior instructors, we'll be showing you some tried and tested methods for fitting garments to your own unique body.
Students will learn an iterative process for creating the best fit: Firstly by making initial adjustments to their paper pattern, which is used as a basis for making a toile. The toile is then used to determine further adjustments, which are finally transferred back to the paper pattern. This process and the pattern created can then be used as a template for tackling future fitting issues, modifying commercial patterns, or designing your own garments.
Students will be using our in-house developed Fitting Pattern to create their toiles, learning additional techniques at each stage. Topics covered will include:
- Adjusting the bodice - Cup size and bust adjustments; fitting the shoulders, including forward rotating shoulders; shortening or lengthening; determining the correct armhole size; rounded back and sway back adjustments.
- Adjusting the sleeve - Determining correct amount of ease and ease distribution; sleeve cap height; bicep adjustments; lengthening and shortening;
- A basic understanding of how to fit a variety of patterns to your own unique body shape.
- A completed toile or toiles, fitted to your unique shape and a paper pattern, adjusted accordingly. These can be used as templates for future projects.
- A sample book, with scaled samples of all the pattern adjustments you'll be learning, again as a reference for future projects.
- An e-book covering the course content.
There will be a prep session for this workshop on Sunday, 18th September, from 7-9pm. This session will be used to introduce the pattern; show you how to prepare the pattern and fabric for fitting & toiling; and give you an overview of the workshop.
This session is not mandatory but is highly recommended. If you're unable to make this session you can notify us during the booking process.
Booking Your Place
NOTE: When you come to book your place on this course, you'll be asked to provide us with the following measurements in INCHES: Upper Bust, Bust, Waist, Hip, and Back-Waist Length. Please refer to the image below as a reference for these measurements. If you're somewhat unsure and you wish to book in a £10 session to help you take these measurements, please get in touch.