UoN Skeptic Cinema: Enemies of Reason
Wednesday, 14 November 2012 from 12:30 to 13:30 (GMT)
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Free screening of the documentary "Enemies of Reason- The Irrational Health Service", with an introductory talk by the Nottingham chapter of "Skeptics in the Pub".
In "Enemies of Reason", Professor Richard Dawkins confronts the epidemic of irrational, superstitious thinking with logic, observation and evidence, and looks at how health has become a battleground between reason and superstition.
The screening will be preceded by a talk by "Skeptics in the Pub", a group for all those interested in science, history, psychology, philosophy, investigative journalism and how to examine extraordinary claims of all types.
The documentary screening has been organized by the Science, Technology and Society group of the University of Nottingham, in accordance with its goal of engaging the general public in issues around science, technology and culture.
Screen 4 at the Broadway Cinema. Admission is free, but please register to secure your place (and to ensure we have enough hot drinks for everyone!)
When & Where
Science, Technology and Society Group, University of Nottingham
Through its interdisciplinary Science, Technology and Society Research Priority Group, the University of Nottingham brings together leading scholars to provide high-impact, agenda-setting and policy-relevant research exploring the intersection between science and society.
In the last two years, Priority Group members have secured major funding for research projects in the following areas:
- Cultural framing of climate change debates
- Neuroscience and changing concepts of human nature
- Presentation of new technologies in the media and politics
- Public engagement and ‘scientific citizenship’
- Social and ethical implications of biofuels and other new energy sources
- Rural hybrid energy enterprise systems
- Public understanding of science and issues of political legitimacy, scientific authority and democratic participation