Today, violence will affect millions of women and girls around the world. It’s an appalling violation of their human rights, and it holds them back from reaching their full potential.
This November Woman Up and ActionAid present 'Raising Women's Voices' as part of the '16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence’. At this time every year, women’s rights campaigners come together to demand an end to violence against women.
In York, ActionAid organiser Wendi, Woman Up and IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Services) are running a joint panel event to discuss local and international grassroots activism towards eliminating violence against women and girls. Speakers on the night will include a Kenyan women's rights activist as well as representatives from ActionAid, IDAS and Survive York.
- Jessica Njui - a women's rights activist who works to support women and girls who have experienced sexual violence in Kenya
- Sarah Carson - Women's Rights Campaign Manager, Actionaid UK
- Dr Marilyn Crawshaw - Fellow, University of York
- Dani Wardman - Chief Officer, Survive York
- Carmel Offord - Community Engagement Officer, Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS)
- Morag Galloway - Branch Leader, Women's Equality Party, York
ActionAid is a leading international charity. We support women and children in extreme poverty. We fight for their rights and for lasting change. Find out more at www.actionaid.org.uk
Woman Up! is a movement, raising women's voices to enact real positive change both locally and globally; exploring what it means to be a woman in the 21st century. We aim to celebrate and further the women’s rights movement by bringing the conversation to a town near you! Find out more at @WomanUpEvents and facebook.com/ukwomanup
Date and Time
ReCSS Training Suite (YH/001b), Center for Applied Human Rights
University of York
6 Innovation Close