Actions and Detail Panel
20in20 for the MS Trust: Death and Debauchery
Thu 25 May 2017, 20:00 – 22:00 BST
The history of London is riddled with death and debauchery, and such topics have always caught the interest of Londoners and visitors alike. On Insider London’s Death and Debauchery Tour, you will hear stories of famous murders, executions, ghostly happenings and lecherous coffeehouses whilst walking through atmospheric streets and popping into historical pub treasures for a bit of warmth.
Left aghast we are with thoughts of crowds pushing and shoving to see a ‘good hanging’ and yet here you are in search of a tour with such tales! We will even visit a pub jewel which stands on the site where the condemned would enjoy their last drink. Look no further, for The Death and Debauchery Tour will bring back to life the hard streets of London and the despicable lengths people would go to just to see another day.
On this tour you will:
- A walking tour through the ‘great square of Venus’, according to Sir John Fielding.
- The story of a young criminal whose name was banned from all London theatrical works for over 40 years after his death.
- One of the most haunted theatres in the West End and its connection to a lover of Charles II.
- A vivid description of the punishments for high treason, for both men and women, and the sites on which they took place.
- The descriptive annual guide offering the ‘who, where, and how’ to London’s debauchery.
- Visit pubs which witnessed some of the horrors discussed and were the watering holes for some of London’s darker characters.
The Death and Debauchery Tour is a walking tour which spends half the time in the streets and the other half in atmospheric pubs. Your Insider guide will open your eyes to the horrors that once engulfed the city, covering the horrid, grotesque, provocative and sometimes laughable stories of London’s most well-known streets. Escaping the wintry chill, treat yourself to a nice ale in some of London’s historic pubs as we make our way through the centuries.
Award-winning guided walking tour company will give you the inside track on the very best that London has to offer. Hear the eye-opening stories behind Shoreditch’s Street Art, discover London’s cutting-edge sustainability scene, or delve into the hidden history of the London Underground. All of Insider London's unique walking tours reveal an unusual and unforgettable side to the capital city, explained by our enthusiastic and knowledgeable tour guides