Actions and Detail Panel
20in20 for the MS Trust: History of Drinking and Pubs
Thu 25 May 2017, 19:00 – 21:00 BST
Insider London’s History of Drinking and Pubs Tour will have you raising your glass to this city’s historical pubs, treasures and its famous drinking culture. Whether you are visiting London for the first time or you’re a local who enjoys discovering its hidden gems, our experienced tour guides will help you uncover the history of the English pub.
From the traditional alehouse to the city taverns, learn the history behind traditional ale and why English people love this drink so much! Travel through London’s drinking history in two hours, learn about medieval brewing techniques and the inventive - and sometimes disgusting - ingredients that were once used.
On this tour you will:
- Discover the history of the drink that nearly drove beer (…and Londoners themselves) to extinction.
- Learn about the connection between the Thames Tunnel and the common circular central bar found in many pubs today.
- Visit a pre-Great Fire London pub which became a favourite hang-out for the likes of Charles Dickens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Mark Twain and Dr Samuel Johnson.
- Learn about the architect who designed churches and cathedrals and built a tavern for his own masons to enjoy.
- Discover the truth behind the legend of an Ale-Conner’s leather trousers.
- Enjoy a drink on the site where the legitimacy of Henry VIII’s divorce from Catherine of Aragon was decided.
The London pub is a great place to learn about one of England’s oldest drinking establishments but also have an opportunity to discover the history of the capital. The History of Drinking and Pubs Tour will leave you thirsty for much more!
The History of Drinking and Pubs Tour visits several pubs, therefore only available to guests who are 18 and over. At each pub a drink will be suggested for you to enjoy, however this is not included in the price of the ticket. To stay within the allotted tour time we also suggest a half-pint rule, though this is up to your own judgement!
Award-winning guided walking tour company will give you the inside track on the very best that London has to offer. Hear the eye-opening stories behind Shoreditch’s Street Art, discover London’s cutting-edge sustainability scene, or delve into the hidden history of the London Underground. All of Insider London's unique walking tours reveal an unusual and unforgettable side to the capital city, explained by our enthusiastic and knowledgeable tour guides.
Date and Time
Meet by Blue Pole, North side entrance of Blackfriars Station
179 Queen Victoria Street