A Career in Data Science (UCL)
Free
A Career in Data Science (UCL)

A Career in Data Science (UCL)

Event Information

Share this event

Date and Time

Location

Location

Room 822, Institute of Education,

20 Bedford Way

London

WC1H 0AL

United Kingdom

View Map

Friends Who Are Going
Event description

Description

**NOTE ROOM CHANGE**

Room 822, Institute of Education, 20 Bedford Way, WC1H 0AL.

Map: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/maps/ioe

Data Science has burst on the scene as a new employment area where demand for candidates outstrips supply. It is also a field that values PhD candidates – particularly from quantitative subjects. As a data scientist, you would use the technical skills you have developed in academia directly.

If you are attracted to the idea of directly using the technical skills you have developed in academia to tackle problems, by drawing insights from the vast quantities of data now available, you might want to consider a career in Data Science; 'the sexiest job of the 21st century', according to Harvard Business School.



In your PhD, you received excellent training in 90% of the skills required to be a data scientist - things like collecting and interpreting data, testing hypotheses and communicating results. All that is needed for you to excel in an exciting new career in industry is to acquire the remaining 10% - the industry-specific skills. This is where the ASI can help.


The ASI offers an 8-week full-time Fellowship in London, developed in collaboration with industry, specifically aimed at helping PhD ​graduates​ and postdocs in science, maths and engineering transition to a career in data science​ and data engineering in industry​. Thanks to generous support, we are able to provide the course free of charge for accepted Fellows.

This will be the ASI’s 8th Fellowship. Since starting in 2014, we have helped 100+ Fellows transition to industry working in data science. ASI Fellowship VIII starts on Monday 15th May 2017. Applications are open until 8pm GMT 10th March 2017 and Fellows are accepted on a rolling basis. Apply at http://www.asidatascience.com/fellowship

Many of our past Fellows have attended UCL. During this session we will be answering questions you may have on a career in data science and the ASI Fellowship.

Share with friends

Date and Time

Location

Room 822, Institute of Education,

20 Bedford Way

London

WC1H 0AL

United Kingdom

View Map

Save This Event

Event Saved