San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
A Foundation Course in Importing
This import training course will offer practical guidance on the latest procedures, terminology and documentation required for successful importing. It will highlight some of the pitfalls that often cause importers to incur unnecessary costs and delays in arrival of goods and suggest some ways of avoiding these. It will increase understanding of Customs rules and compliance procedures and look briefly at some of the duty reliefs available. The import training course will include a summary of The New Incoterms® 2010 Rules.
International trade is a very complex subject with many different terms, procedures and regulations. Training is essential to successful trading overseas.
Who should attend?
Those with responsibility for purchasing from abroad, inward freight, customer services, customs clearance and financial staff . The course content will be equally relevant to sole traders, personnel from large corporation and small and medium size enterprises. It will be equally suitable for those with no prior experience and those who require updating with the latest information.
How will you benefit?
- Develop your import strategy
- Gain the confidence to explore and expand in overseas markets
- Maximise the opportunity for South West businesses to trade internationally
- Satisfy the demand for UK products, services and expertise across the world
- General Importing Issues - A brief economic background to import export – primary and secondary imports – import controls – The Role of HM Revenue and Customs – preferential trading agreements
- Supplier and Product - Indirect and direct importing – Quality issues-The importing fundamentals-type of supplier-moral and ethical considerations-sources of help-product risk-instructing the supplier
- The role of freight forwarders and clearing agents- Shipping agents and airline forwarders – how do they cost for carriage - what is an “agent” – direct and indirect contracting – the role of clearing agent
- Risk Evaluation Exercise
- The Terms of Delivery - The New Incoterm® 2010 Rules - Description of rules – discussion of advantages and disadvantages of each term
- Cargo Insurance- Forwarders cover - open cover
- Documentation- The importance of controlling import documentation - Types of import documentation – rules for completion –examples - electronic documentation – storage and retention
- International Payments- Payment options for import - Letters of Credits -Documentary requirements - Bills of Exchange and drafts – Documentary Collections
- The Role of Customs- Authorised Economic Operators-The Integrated Tariff – customs procedures - classification and commodity codes – customs procedure codes
- The Origin Question - Where do goods originate – why is it important – how to establish origination - preferential trading – origin documentation
- European Community Trading - Free Circulation – Community Transit- Intrastat Procedures
- Licensing and Quotas- Why do we need import licenses - The licensing bodies – import quotas and community ceilings
- Import Declarations - The sequence of events – Declaration options - Customs Freight Simplified Procedures-Declaration documents
- Duties - Calculation of duty and VAT –Anti Dumping Duty - Suspension and Deferment of duty – duty management
- Import Duty Relief Regimes - Inward processing Relief – Outward Processing Relief – Customs Warehousing.
The trainer will use oral and visual presentations, reference to fictitious and real examples and participatory exercises to illustrate course content. The delegates will receive a copy of the presentation on which notes can be made together with a workbook for future reference.
Continuous Professional Development
This course is graded as entry level and would qualify for 10 Continuous Professional Development points.
If you are a Business West Chamber of Commerce member you can save 10% on this course, simply contact us for your discount code
Save This Event
When & Where
Business West Training
Gain skills, improve your existing ones or just learn something new!