Actions and Detail Panel
Abdominal Examination: A Practical Skills Workshop
Tue 16 May 2017, 13:00 – 17:00 BST
Abdominal Examination is a useful and rewarding skill to have. This course introduces you to the knowledge required and provides direct hands-on experience of how to examine the abdomen.
An initial lecture will first introduce you to the key aspects of the abdominal examination and highlight important normal and abnormal findings that can be elicited. After this, the procedure for abdominal examination will be demonstrated. During this demonstration, the technical aspects of the different tests that are performed will be explained and justified. After this, you will get hands-on practice and perform several abdominal examination skills on peers.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Describe and demonstrate an ordered sequence of abdominal examination
- Perform each step of the abdominal examination with care and technical accuracy
- Assess organ size and location within the abdomen
- Recognise and discuss possible causes of abnormalities which are relevant to abdominal examination
- Understand the purpose and limitations of each of the steps in abdominal examination
The numbers on this course are very limited to allow for lots of hands-on practice, supervision and guidance. This makes it a perfect initial introduction or refresher course for those wanting to develop their abdominal examination skills. This course focuses on the skills involved in the abdominal examination and it provides an excellent introductory partner course for our “Abdominal Pain: Differentiating the Cause” which follows this course.