Actions and Detail Panel
Advanced Skills in Dressmaking and Tailoring
Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 10:00 – Thu, 18 May 2017, 12:30 GMT
2 1/2 hour classes run every Thursday for 8 weeks from March 23rd to May 18th. There is no class on April 20th due to Easter week.
LEVEL: 3 ADVANCED
Class length: 8 x 2 1/2 hour sessions (20 hours teaching time)
What is covered in the class:
Throughout the 8 weeks you can work on your chosen Advanced project. Advanced means an emphasis on learning by:
- Choosing a more advanced pattern, e.g a lined jacket. An advance is a step up from what you have made before.
- Or using a favourite pattern from before but making it in a more 'difficult' cloth e.g tweeds, silks, lace, velvet.
- Fine tuning your skills in cutting, pressing and stitching.
- Construction using organza, sleeve heads, shoulder pads and interfacing.
- Hand stitching techniques throughout garment making.
- Inserting lining by both the 'fashion and tailoring' methods. By machine and by hand.
Sewing confidence will soar and so will your own personal creativity!
About your tutor: Christine's mum taught her to sew when she was six, which means she has been sewing for over 36 years! She has over 25 years experience in fashion, film costume, and self employment in Northern Ireland. She teaches with patience, enthusiasm and encouragement at every step. Our N.I Sewing Bee Angeline Murphy was once one of her dressmaking students. Since 2008 she has taught more than 2000 students.
The Venue: Classes are held in Christine's quirky up-cycled home studio which has been featured both on television and in magazines. This gives Christine access to her wardrobe where she can show students every seam, zip and different design that they will be learning.
Equipment: All sewing machines and sewing equipment is provided. You are welcome to bring your own machine if you wish.
Materials required at first class: Please bring an advanced project that you would like to work on. Additional habadashery can be purchased in class.
Maximum in class: 5 students. Class sizes are limited to 5 people so that students benefit from a focused and fun approach to teaching. There must be a minimum of 3 bookings for the class to run.
FREE on street parking