Actions and Detail Panel
Advising Science Students on Careers and Employability - webinar recording
Thu, 15 Sep 2016, 14:30 – Sun, 18 Sep 2016, 15:30 BST
Recording of the Advising Science Students on Careers and Employability run by Maya Mendiretta on the 15th August 2016.
Description of the original webinar. :
This session will enable careers and employability staff to better advise and support undergraduate science students. It is designed to help staff whether or not they have a science background.
By the end of this webinar you should have a better understanding of:
• How to give useful and credible advice without the background knowledge in a science subject
• How to help the student move beyond the academic world of their subject to the professional world outside university
• How to approach common questions such as “What can I do with a degree in x science subject?”, “Why can’t I find a job related to my degree?” or “I want a job connected to science”
• How to enable the student to decide between further study and work
• Important aspects of the UK labour market for science graduates
• How to use a range of tools, resources and approaches designed for science students
• Some of the common concerns and motivations of a science student
Dr Maya Mendiratta did train as a scientist – first doing a degree in Biochemistry and then a PhD in Genetics. This, as with all scientists, did not give her any specialist science knowledge beyond her own niche subject. What it did give her that can be used in careers education, information, advice and guidance is some insight into common thought processes, approaches and pitfalls science students fall into. Maya has supported science undergraduates for 3 and a half years as a careers consultant, further developing this insight plus a range of approaches that can be used in 1-to-1s, workshops, marketing and written communications with science students.
Please note if you are booking the recording of the webinar from outside of the United Kingdom different VAT regulations apply. Before you submit your booking please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.