£27.54

Alcester War memorial Town hall Ghost hunt

Event Information

Share this event

Date and Time

Location

Location

Alcester War Memorial Town Hall

Henley Street

Alcester

B49 5QX

United Kingdom

View Map

Refund Policy

Refund Policy

Contact the organiser to request a refund.

Eventbrite's fee is nonrefundable.

Event description
Join us for a night of ghost hunting in this fantastic location, with reports of poltergeist activity and apparitions join us if you dare.

About this Event

Situated in the heart of Alcester, Warwickshire, this place is no stranger to paranormal activity. Poltergeists are reported to reside here and dark Ghostly Shadows are often seen within , sudden drastic temperature changes along with strange cries and sounds of old metal chains often heard.

Since the early 1900`s there have been hundreds of reports of paranormal activity and it's not surprising when you look at the history. This building itself has had many uses From an old court, to an old lockup to an Hospital during the great war. There has been reports of soldiers dressed in period clothing seen looking out from the upper windows, Things are said to move when members of staff have left items in particular places. Loud unexplained bangs and thuds are heard. strange mists have seen wandering across the lower floor. Many people feel that someone is standing behind them or to the side when nobody is there.

For those that are particularly interested in the history In 1618 the Lord of the Manor of Alcester, Sir Fulke Greville III, provided the sum of £300 for the building of a market hall. Prior to that traders and customers would have gathered at a well and market cross which are likely to have occupied the same site. the town hall was originally constructed in 1641, an open market, which was eventually filled in to create a covered market, it was made home to the town 'lock-up', the door of which is still on display, alongside the town stocks. Much of the upper part of the building hasn't changed since 1641.

They also jailed offenders in the basement prison known as The Hole, which still exists today. Its massive oak door with iron bars is now on display in the main ground floor room. The cell was still in use as the town lock-up until about 1850 when a new police station opened in Henley Street.

Originally the whole building was to have been constructed in stone but this was found to be too expensive. The timber-framed upper floor, with its magnificent roof, was constructed at the later date of 1641. Look for the date carved on one of the roof beams to the west side of the hall; it has recently been confirmed by tree-ring dating of the timbers.

During the Great War the hall was used as a hospital and in 1919 the town of Alcester raised £640 by public subscription to purchase the freehold of the hall from the 7th Marquess of Hertford. It was renamed The Alcester War Memorial Town Hall in memory of those who had given their lives for their country. A trust was set up naming the High and Low Bailiff of the manor during their term of office. They are still elected annually by male members of the community who are residents, leaseholders or freeholders in the manor. The ground floor was intended to be an institute and reading room, but this never happened.

In 1938 the hall received a gift of the coat of arms of the 2nd Marquess of Hertford, which now hangs above the upstairs fireplace. He married the Honourable Isabella Anne Ingram Sheppard in 1776 and the plaque shows how both family names were combined heraldically. In the same year, the false ceiling was removed exposing the timbers of the roof. The present fireplace and main stairs, in period style, were installed in 1939.

During the Second World War, the people of Alcester and surrounding nearby parishes raised £139,000 to commission the corvette, HMS Monkshood. You will find a model of the ship and ensign in the upper room. During the 1950s, a long series of improvements and repairs began, including a new oak floor upstairs. Major restorations have been carried out on the outside walls.

In 1978 a charitable trust and management committee was established and Mr. J Adams was appointed as the first chairman, a post he held until 2006. During this period an immense amount of work has been undertaken to preserve and improve the hall, including major alterations to the ground floor in 1985-6. In 1999 the committee welcomed the 9th Marquess of Hertford who succeeded his father as Patron and Lord of the Manor.

Greville, lst Earl of Warwick, revoked all market tolls payable to him on condition that the people of Alcester kept the hall in good repair. In the mid-19th century it housed the town’s fire engine. In 1870 the roof was modified into the “hammerbeam” form seen today, although for a time it was concealed by a false ceiling. By this time the old market had ceased, so in 1873 the Marquess of Hertford (whose family had become Lords of the Manor in 1813) enclosed and converted the ground floor for use as the town’s magistrate’s court.

THIS EVENT INCLUDES

Working in small groups, participating in Ouija/spirit board sessions, Evp Sessions, Table tipping, and the use of ghost hunting equipment. Tea/coffee and light snacks throughout the evening.

This Location is not suitable for people with walking and mobility issues.

OVER 18`s ONLY

Share with friends

Date and Time

Location

Alcester War Memorial Town Hall

Henley Street

Alcester

B49 5QX

United Kingdom

View Map

Refund Policy

Contact the organiser to request a refund.

Eventbrite's fee is nonrefundable.

Save This Event

Event Saved