Actions and Detail Panel
Alternatives to Capitalism: The Solidarity Economy Perspective
Tue 18 October 2016, 18:00 – 21:15 BST
From the farmers of La Via Campesina, to the care workers of the Italian social co-operative movement, to the activists resisting the modern enclosure of our Commons, people around the world are coming together to build an economy that puts people and planet at its core.
Join us for an the evening where we will explore the Solidarity Economy Movement as a practical, humane and just alternative to Capitalism. Along with some amazing speakers and panelists, we shall paint a picture of the current economic conditions in Britain and present a movement of “economic organizing” that is defying the current system from the bottom up, in many countries around Europe and across the World.
The keynote speaker is Michael Lewis, from Canada, one of the founders of the Intercontinental Network for the Promotion of the Social Solidarity Economy (RIPESS).
Our panel, drawn from different sectors of the economy will discuss what they think is already happening in the UK that could be called Solidarity Economics and what kinds of cross sectoral initiatives they think could work to link their sectors to others. The discussion will then be opened out for everyone to participate.
Food and drink available during the evening to stimulate thought-provoking conversations!
If this is something that interests you, please join us and spread the word!
Speakers and panellists:
- Siôn Whellens - Host and Master of Ceremonies, also a big co-op advocate and co-founder of the Worker Co-operative Solidarity Fund;
- Tony Greenham - First speaker of the evening and Director of Economy, Enterprise and Manufacturing Programme at the Royal Society of Arts (RSA);
- Michael Lewis - Our keynote speaker from Canada, and one of the founders of the Intercontinental Network for the Promotion of the Social Solidarity Economy (RIPESS);
- Jane Grindey - Panel speaker on Energy and also founding member of Wolverton Community Energy;
- Ludovica Rodgers - Panel speaker on Technology Commons and advocate of the platform cooperatives movement in the UK;
- Pat Conaty - Panel speaker on Work and Research Associate at Co-operatives UK;
- Lynne Davies - Panel speaker on Food Sovereignty and member of the Land Workers’ Alliance;
- Jason Nardi - Panel speaker from Italy on Network Building and part of the Board of Directors of RIPESS Intercontinental.
* Free copies of STIR’s ‘The Future of Work’ for the first 50 early birds who register and attend the event!