Actions and Detail Panel
Altitude Comedy Festival
Sun, 11 Dec 2016, 17:30 – Sat, 17 Dec 2016, 02:00 CET
ALTITUDE CHRISTMAS 2016
THE FUNNIEST SHOW ON SNOW (WITH ADDED HO HO HO!)
FIRST LINE-UP ANNOUNCEMENT
ANDREW MAXWELL / MARCUS BRIGSTOCKE
ZOE LYONS / ANDY ASKINS / DANIEL SLOSS
CRAIG CAMPBELL / GLENN WOOL
KAI HUMPHRIES / JENNY BEDE / BARRY CASTAGNOLA
THE INTERNATIONAL IMPRO ALLSTARS
PLUS MANY MORE TBA
THE ORIGINAL SILENT DISCO
OH MY GOD IT’S THE CHURCH
AND FOR OUR DEUTSCH SPEAKING FRIENDS
LUIS FROM SOUTH TIROL / OUR FRIENDS AT FM4
& EXTRA SPECIAL HEADLINER TBA (VERY SOON)
‘What? Two Altitude Festivals in one year? You’re mad’ I hear you yodel!
After the phenomenal success our 10th anniversary festival in January, we've been invited back to Mayrhofen, and for the first time in Altitude history we will be getting festive in Austria from the 11th-17th December with Altitude Christmas. It’s going to be a very different festival with new experiences, new venues, new shows, new slopes and of course new acts (and old) as we ‘explore Austria’ and celebrate a traditional Austrian Christmas.
First off, the clowns…
Following a little hiatus from the slopes, Terry Alderton is back! The hills are alive with the sound of BONKERS! Having travelled the world, winning numerous awards including the Best International Act at the New Zealand Comedy Festival, Terry will back to headline the Gala Show on the Tuesday luring us into his psychedelic world to teach us about his ‘voices’.
No-one could be more thrilled about Altitude’s second 2016 edition than co-founder Andrew Maxwell. Ireland’s most knowledgeable and shouty comedian will return with his intrepid social comedy and his world-famous lederhosen. Let’s just hope he doesn’t spoil them again...
Marcus Brigstocke has been so snowed under with rave reviews for his Edinburgh Fringe shows that we were worried he might have gotten too big for his ski-boots. Luckily he hasn’t, so we are thrilled that we have another chance to witness his achingly funny satirical wit and enviable snowboarding skills this December.
Mock the Week regular Zoe Lyons will also be back in the Hoff keeping the good times snowballing, alongside Scotland’s comedy prodigy Daniel Sloss. We’re also joined by the manically funny Joel Dommett, storytelling jokesmith Craig Campbell and Canadian multi-award winner Glenn Wool. Our favourite Musical man Andy Askins is back, as is the marvellous Kai Humphries, bringing his supreme wit and infectious optimism. The Observer and Guardian’s Rising Star of Comedy Jenny Bede and Altitude veterans The International Improv All-stars are also up for some festive fun. Many more acts are still to be announced.
We are also joined by ‘The Best Act to Ever Close Shangri-Hell at Glastonbury’ - OH MY GOD, IT’S THE CHURCH! It’s time all you sinners joined them for a service where party is praising, you’ll be baptised in absinthe and made to dance with the devil himself. Hell, even Jesus gets down at this show! ‘OH MY GOD, IT’S THE CHURCH!’ is a raucous, interactive party experience and parody of a Deep South Pentecostal church brimming with the best soul, dancing and disco tunes.
The Original Silent Disco are joining us all the way from Holland, and hosting two electrifying events at Altitude Christmas. The first is a Silent Disco ON ICE! We are shaking with excitement to ice-skate (and fall over) to all of our favourite tunes. The second event will break the world-record as The Highest Silent Disco ever and will take place on top of the Hintertux Glacier at 3250m!
And now for the festive part…
To celebrate the festive season, Altitude will be creating #LightUpMayrhofen. Out of a couple of tons of steel and metal, Altitude will produce a dazzling Festival of Lights. For one night only we will be artistically reinventing a magical path beginning at the Penken Lift, transforming it with fire, stunning fountains of water, hanging drops of light, symbolic Hot Heads and a mini fire-lit bandstand which will run the length of the street. The local shops, businesses and cafes will open up to reveal local artists in residence for the night. The stunning, illuminated path leads from the Enchanted Schellung Forest to the town of Mayrhofen with bewitching lights. There will even be free Austrian snacks, mugs of hot Gluvine and traditional choirs to warm your Chrismas cockles.
We are incredibly excited to reveal that there will also be an enchanted forest - Advent in the Forest is filled with beautifully decorated stalls offering delicious local crafts, foods and drinks. Here you can ignite your festive spirit whilst sitting by an open fire and listening to Austrian Christmas music.
If you’re a seasoned skier or boarded and worried about the snow…IT’S SNOW PROBLEM! Mayrhofen has regular buses for festival-goers to Austria’s only year-round ski resort, The Hintertux Glacier, which is just up the road. As well as astonishing views and amazing restaurants, the Hintertux Glacier offers winter sports enthusiasts perfect, snow-sure runs 365 days of the year and over 60km of runs suitable for all levels from beginner to pro.
It all has to be seen to be believed! Bring on #Altitude16Xmas
And just a little about the festival itself:
Altitude is the World’s No.1 Alpine Comedy Festival, and is a truly unique event which fuses together the adrenaline rush of a ski holiday, with the madcap thrills of a top-notch comedy festival. It’s outrageous that we manage annually to persuade arena-filling comedians from around the world to descend upon the tiny chocolate box surroundings of Mayrhofen, Austria to play the most intimate of sets. Whether you’re a veteran Altituder or new to the mountains, we guarantee an amazing week of live shows, snug performances and slope experiences like no other.
Slopes all day - laughs all night! That’s our mantra! As an Altitude goer you can spend your days skiing and boarding across the resort’s 655 km of piste, dining at mountain-top restaurants and taking in the breath-taking views. You can lounge in the resort’s plethora of spas, before taking advantage of the truly amazing opportunities to see our specially-picked comedians up close and personal. You will witness the sharpest stand-up and the most innovative improv. There is no better way to unwind after a day on the slopes than to have a good laugh in the evening. Altitude goers are served the perfect mix of up-and-coming comedians, big names, live music and surprise treats, producing the most entertaining winter sports holiday you’ll ever experience.
Over the past decade we’ve had some of the best comedians in the world, including Eddie Izzard, Jimmy Carr, John Bishop, Bill Bailey, Tim Minchin, Micky Flanagan, Sean Lock, Jim Jefferies, Jo Brand, Lee Mack, Al Murray, Michael Winslow, Nina Conti, Kevin Bridges, Frankie Boyle and Katherine Ryan just to name a few.
Don’t forget, we’ve still got a comedy giant to announce hitting the slopes and rocking the jokes, guaranteeing Altitude Christmas will be the one to remember. Don’t miss out on early bird tickets, including our exclusive VIP Altitude Ticket, on sale now.
TICKETS ON-SALE NOW
Early Bird Full Week Festival Wristband - £150.00 (plus booking fee) - MUST END NOV 6TH
Early Bird Full Week VIP Festival Wristband – £225.00 (plus booking fee) - MUST END NOV 6TH
General Admission Week Festival Wristband - £175 (plus booking fee)
VIP Week Festival Wristband - £275 (plus booking fee)
THE VIP WRISTBAND WILL ENTITLE YOU TO:
Entrance to All Altitude Shows
A Free Bottle of Wine (or up to 4 beers) for the Gala Shows*
Meet and Greet the comedians***
Compete in the Clown Hill Race****
Reserved are at The Festival of Light
*Please book this with one of the staff at the Altitude HQ on your arrival
** Gala Shows only.
*** VIP's will be welcome to the Press Launch Monday afternoon
**** During the week we will be having the inaugural Comedian Down Hill Race, VIP will be allowed to take part and race the comedians/clowns.
- “Incredible, Go!” Jimmy Carr
- “What a lovely gig…Thank you to all!!” John Bishop
- “I had a great time”. Bill Bailey
- “I loved every minute”. Sean Lock
- “Thanks so much to everyone involved with @AltitudeComedy it's honestly been one of the highlights of my career. Sad it's over *CRIES*” Daniel Sloss
- “I had a fucking blast. Cannot wait for next year”. Rufus Hound
- “Well done to everyone involved Altitude Comedy…got a good thing going here! Yaldy”. Kevin Bridges
- “Altitude Festival is blinding so far. Seen some unbelievably good comedy – it’s been a pleasure to play. Have to say Mayrhofen is beautiful”. Marcus Brigstocke
- “Massive thanks to all the crew and artist for making it a very special week …roll on next year”. Dub Pistols
- “People, save your pennies for next year’s Altitude Festival, skiing all day and 3 amazing comedy shows each night!” Andy Smart
- “There can be few nicer places to watch comedy than at the Altitude festival” Daily Telegraph
- “Even if you're useless at it [Skiing or Snowboarding], it's still worth it for the après” Guardian
- It is not often you get to see an O2 Arena-filling act in a 100-capacity bar, so this was the kind of thing that made the festival special.' Evening Standard
- “SKIING, comedy, music. Not a bad combination, in anyone's book. Hence, the fun had at Altitude Festival this year was - by my maths - at least three times better than any mountain break previously taken”. The Sun
- “I’m already counting the days to Altitude…” Bruce Dessau, Beyond The Joke
- “Altitude Festival keeps the laughter levels flowing long after you dust off your bruised and aching limbs for some well-deserved après-ski and a glass of mulled wine”. Metro
- “Altitude festival is well, well WORTH A LOOK. We recommend it highly”. Maxim
- “We’d happily put up with the combination of aching legs and split sides again next year.” Whitelines
- “Storming gigs…brilliant intimate sets”. Chortle
- “The one thing to expect from Altitude is the unexpected - an utterly surreal experience”. The Big Issue