San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
A HALF-day course looking at the latest developments in the laws that affect journalists working in online, print or broadcast media.
Trainer: David Banks
Topics to be covered include:
- Latest developments in libel, including recent cases and the effect of libel reforms of the Defamation Act 2016
- Latest cases in privacy and the implications for journalists
- Contempt of Court – guidance on recent prosecutions – what is it safe to publish now?
- Changes to reporting rules relating to children in and out of courts
- Changes to copyright law
- Reporting restrictions in the courts and relating to sexual offences
- Law and social media as it applies to journalists
- Update on the new IPSO code of practice for online and print journalists
- Potential impact of departure from the EU on legal protections for publishers and broadcasters
The session will take the form of a presentation, with a short workshop and there will be plenty of opportunities for discussion of individual issues/concerns.
Slides and supporting notes will be made available to those attending on the day.
We have a cancellation policy of two weeks for this workshop because of the costs associated with running it. If you cancel within this period we will be unable to refund any course fees.