Actions and Detail Panel
An Introduction to Rights Management and Copyright
Wed 15 February 2017, 10:45 – 16:00 GMT
An outreach event delivered in partnership with the Collections Trust
This session will provide an introduction to the sometimes daunting world of rights management. Together we will explore identifying collections protected by intellectual property rights, particularly copyright. We will discuss basic principles including obtaining and recording permissions, risk management and orphan works, as well as how to apply the SPECTRUM Rights Management procedure within your organisation.
Delegates will be encouraged to participate through discussions and activities, and there will be plenty of opportunity for questions throughout.
If you have a specific question you need support with - we ask that, where possible, delegates kindly submit these questions in advance, to enable us to answer them effectively on the day.
This session is aimed at:
- Museum staff and volunteers involved in recording, obtaining and/or using collections rights information.
- Those will no existing knowledge or those in need of a refresher
By the end of this briefing you will:
- Have an understanding of different intellectual property rights, particularly copyright
- Have a broad understanding of the current state of copyright as it relates to collections
- Have an understanding of obtaining and recording permissions
- Have an understaning of risk management and dealing with orphan works
- Have an understanding of the SPECTRUM Rights Management procedure