Actions and Detail Panel
Annual Injection Update for HCAs in Hastings & Rother CCG and EHS CCG
Wed 18 October 2017, 13:30 – 16:30 BST
This update is for HCAs who have previously completed a recognised immunisation course and are experienced in providing Flu and Pneumococcal Pneumonia and Herpes Zoster (shingles) immunisations. It will cover key topics with an emphasis on the practical aspects of immunisation and injection techniques. ‘The National Minimum Standards and Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training of Health Care Support Workers’ (2015) recommends a minimum of once yearly updates.
By the end of this session you should be able to:
- List flu prevention and management approaches.
- Apply the Chief Medical Officers’ 2016 flu vaccination policy in local practice.
- Apply the Green Book policy for Pneumococcal pneumonia vaccination
- Apply the Green Book policy for Shingles (Herpes Zoster) vaccination as applicable
to local practice
- Consider ways to maximise the uptake of vaccinations.
- Recognise legal requirements for delivering a safe vaccination service.
- Identify the practical procedures and best practice in flu and pneumococcal
pneumonia (and herpes zoster as appropriate) vaccine administration (and B12 injection).
- Recognise and know how to prevent or manage adverse events (including
anaphylaxis) associated with vaccination.
- Identify quality sources of further information.
Applicants should be up to date with Basic Life Support and Anaphylaxis.