Q-Iman's Arabic Level 1 incorporates modern and classical Arabic as well as grammar. It is one of the most comprehensive coverages of classical Arabic and grammar available. Students who are looking for serious and focussed study of Arabic in order to access the language of the Quran and Hadith should seriously consider completing the whole programme.
You must be able to read the Qur'an fluently to be able to study this course and complete a basic module on writing through self-study which we will provide. You will need to commit to 3 hours of contact time per week and at least a further 3 hours of personal study. Students who cannot read or write Arabic should join the Access to Arabic & Tajweed course.
At level 1, the topics below will be covered in conjunction with tailor made worksheets to help students apply their knowledge of grammar concepts and build a broad vocabulary bank:
- Important terms relevant to the study of al-Nahw (Ism', fi'l, harf, ma'rifah, nakirah, etc);
- The definite and the indefinite;
- The sun and moon letters;
- Common forms of the detached personal and demonstrative pronouns;
- Important terminology relevant to the study of sarf
- The classification of verbs: perfect, imperfect, imperative; triliteral, quadriliteral, the simple and derived; sound and irregular forms of the verb;
- Forms (abwab); the 6 forms of the simple triliteral;
- The perfect active positive verb from simple triliteral roots;
- The Masculine and the Feminine nouns;
- The singular, dual and plural;
- Introduction to the cases: the 3 cases, the nominative, the accusative and the genitive; declension using vowels and letters; and the diptote;
- Derived forms of the triliteral verb;
- Using a dictionary;
- The perfect active positive verb from derived triliteral forms;
- The active and passive, positive and negative forms of the past tense verb;
- The mudhari’ (imperfect) verb: active, passive, positive, and negative forms from simple and derived roots.
- Al-Murakkab al-Tawseefi (the adjectival phrase) and common adjectives
*Payments will be made in cash on the first day of the class.