Dear Toastmasters and Most Welcome Guests
As you may be aware, the Autumn Toastmaster contest season is about to start and Toastmasters will soon be polishing their speeches and impromptu speaking skills with the aim of winning the covetted title of UK South Humorous Speech and Table Topics Champions.
Area 1 Club Contests are listed below. These usually start at 7.30 pm but (Toastmasters) please check full details by signing up at the club's site on http://toastmasterclub.org/:
Club contest winners will go through to the first ever Area 1 Learning Conference on 1st October 2016 at the Norman Rodaway Pavilion, Hedge End, Southampton. Hosted by Solent Speakers, the Area 1 Learning Conference will present the winners of local club Humorous Speech and Table Topics contests. The event offers exciting development opportunities …
- Participants hone their speech skills,
- Attendees learn by watching high quality speakers
- Meeting planners/organisers develop teamwork and leadership skills
To attend or help at our forthcoming Area Learning Conferences, register here with details of:
- Your name and, if you are a Toastmaster, your club details. Guests are very welcome to join our audience.
- PLEASE NOTE CONTESTANTS DO NOT PAY AND DO NOT NEED TO REGISTER HERE.
- On the day attendees can attend (door charge £10).
- Role of interest (see below):
TO JOIN THE ORGANISING COMMITTEE
- Chief Judge (1 per contest or 1 for both): Liaise with, train and brief judges prior to the event to ensure they are fully informed about the role and prepare a judge’s pack for each. On the say, briefs voting and tie-break Judges, oversees voting and counting processes and notifies Contest Chair of placements/disqualifications. Alerts HQ of placements after the contest.
- Sergeant at Arms x 2 required: Check requirements for equipment and props, source and test equipment (including trophies). On the day, ensures these are available and equipment is working; 2nd SAA manages leads Table Topics contestants to the holding area and brings them to the hall in the order drawn.
- Registration Officer: Main contact for members and guests who sign up to attend the contests, developing a list of confirmed attendees and preparing name badges.
- Media/Comms Officer: Contacting local press, radio, community sites and social media to advertise the events and preparing press packs. Sending out regular updates to members and guests to keep them informed of the programme. Welcoming and managing press on the day and issuing news releases after the event.
- Programme Manager: In charge of developing the programme for the day, making sure the timings work and briefing the Toastmaster and Contest Chair on the day.
- Financial Officer: Tracking costs and making sure receipts are collected and submitted to the AD for reimbursement.
TO HELP ON THE DAY
- Toastmaster: Making sure the contests start/finish on time, run smoothly and managing the
- Voting Judges (see Note1 below): 5 voting judges required
- Ballot counters x 3: Collect and count votes from Judges (twice), advise Chief Judge of placements.
- Timers x 2: One manages the stopwatch, and the other the signaling device and documentation. Advises Chief Judge of any disqualifications due to time over-runs.
- Meet and greet team: Set up welcome desk with registration list, badges, flyers. Welcome attendees and guests; assign members to look after guests.
- Set up team: Set up main hall, counting and holding areas with chairs, tables, lectern, banners, food, etc.
Note 1: At area contests, we need an equal number of voting judges from each club in the area (1 from each) or a minimum of 5 judges.
Further information about Speech Contests:
- Speech Contest FAQs: www.toastmasters.org/speechcontestFAQ Speech Contest
- Tutorials www.toastmasters.org/speechcontestmodule Speech Contests Policy 6.0
- Rulebook: https://www.toastmasters.org/~/media/3117F77BBF4D430B8A403ECECDD5F99F.ashx
- Policies: www.toastmasters.org/Leadership-Central/Governing-Documents
Please note, a nominal charge is being made to cover catering and equipment costs. It goes without saying that contestants will not register via this system. Club Contest Chairs should submit details of winners directly to the Area Director by email immediately after club contests.
Lastly, the winners of the Area Contests will go through to compete in the Division A Contest on 16th October. More details here ....https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/myevent?eid=27568800023%20