Actions and Detail Panel
Asbestos awareness training
Wed 29 March 2017, 12:00 – 16:00 BST
ASBESTOS AWARENESS TRAINING
The aim of the course is to provide awareness and develop knowledge of the hazards and risks posed by asbestos containing materials (ACMs), in order that employees can conduct work safely.
CONTROL OF ASBESTOS REGULATIONS 2012
The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012, Regulation 10 ‘Information, Instruction and Training’ require employers to ensure that any employees liable to be exposed to asbestos (or supervising such employees) provides information, instruction and training to enable them to carry out their work safely.
Please note training is to provide employees with information to avoid disturbing asbestos and is not adequate for those employees who are intending to carry out work involving asbestos containing materials. If employees carry out such work, this will require further, separate training.
The training will be delivered by RSK Environment Ltd under the auspices of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (CIfA). RSK is an approved training provider for asbestos awareness training with the UK Asbestos Training Association (UKATA). RSK is also a CIfA Registered Organisation (RO).
This course is suitable for archaeologists of all levels of experience and responsibility. In terms of CIfA’s membership, the course would be appropriate for archaeologists undertaking or managing projects involving the following:
- Field projects involving intrusive survey (trial trenching) or excavation of greenfield or brownfield sites;
- Post-excavation processing and analysis of soil samples and finds;
- Curating, handling or managing archaeological collections; and
- Undertaking historic building or standing building surveys for any building built before 2000.
Properties and risks of asbestos and effects on health of asbestos exposure:
- Origin and properties of asbestos;
- Types of asbestos and their properties;
- Sources of asbestos and history of use;
- Diseases associated with asbestos exposure;
- Epidemiology and statistics relating to these diseases;
- Types, uses, risks and occurrence of asbestos containing materials in buildings and plant;
- Types of asbestos containing materials; and
- Uses of materials and their typical locations in buildings and plant.
Avoiding risks from asbestos:
- Friability of materials and risk of fibre release;
- Asbestos registers and surveys; and
- Emergency procedures in the event of discovery / disturbance of asbestos.
- Origins of asbestos legislation and how it fits into wider health and safety legislation; and Control of Asbestos Regulations and other applicable legislation.
Assessment will be by multiple choice examination consisting of 15 questions under exam conditions. Candidates will be required to achieve a score of at least 12 out of 15 (80%) in the examination. Failure to achieve this will result in the candidate requiring to re-sit the examination under exam conditions. If a candidate further fails the second attempt then they will require to re-sit the course in its entirety.
Places are limited so please book now.
Please note if you would like to make multiple bookings there is a limit of 4 attendees per company.