In this course, taking place over 8 Wednesday evenings, we will learn how to build automata (sculptures that move).
In the process of doing this, you will learn how to use most of the machines and software packages here at Machines Room, so you will be skilled up to create your own designs by the end of the course.
You can follow our templates or make your own designs - in our last course we had flying pigs and flying unicorns!
- Wood Workshop Induction & Training
- Inkscape Training
- Laser Cutter Induction & Training
- 123D Design Training
- 3D Printer Training
- All materials required to make the Automaton
All attendees will need to:
- Bring their own laptop (running Windows 7 or later / OSX 10.8 or later)
- Install software ahead of each class (the trainer will let you know when to do this)
- Bring a mouse (using the trackpad on your laptop is not ideal for the design software we will use)
Course Dates & Itinerary
All classes run 6-9pm
- Wed 25th Jan: Introduction & Woodwork
- Wed 1st Feb: Inkscape
- Wed 8th Feb: Laser Cutting
- Wed 15th Feb: Automaton Design & Make
- Wed 22nd Feb: 3D Modelling
- Wed 1st Mar: 3D Printing
- Wed 8th Mar: Assembly
- Wed 15th Mar: Finishing
About the Introduction to Making series
The Introduction to Making series of courses was developed by Machines Room to give newcomers in to the world of design, making and digital fabrication a starting point at which to learn the processes involved in taking their ideas from concept to finished object. Each level of the course builds on the knowledge of the previous and is focused on the production of a particular item (which can be taken home at the end), gradually teaching paticipants the skills needed to complete their own projects.
The complete list of levels/courses in the series are;
- Level 1: T-Shirt
- Level 2: Automaton
- Level 2B: Electronics Automaton
- Level 3: Chair
Course Bundles and prices
Cost is £295 for the 8 week course. You can pay per week if you prefer - £40 per week - just email email@example.com to book your place.
We have a variety of bundle discount offers available if you wish to book a place on mutiple courses in the Introduction of Making series. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.